none
Office 365 Project Portfolio - "Work Effort" is incorrect RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to edit the data source that updates Office 365 Project Portfolio. When I create my project in Project Professional I entered the duration and the work effort for each task. However, When I upload into project online (SharePoint task list), the work effort does not seem to upload. Thus, in my 365 Project Portfolio the work effort is showing up as the full hours of the duration; i.e. 2 wks = 80hrs. I need this to be for example a duration of 2wks, but 30hrs of work effort.

How do I correct this?

Thanks in advance. 

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 4:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Before takling about the Portfolio O365 app, I think you need first to understand how MS Project works. Duration is a different notion that work. You might have a 2weeks tasks (duration), but the resource might work half of the time, so the work will be 80/2=40hrs. So you need in MS Project to manage those 3 settings: work, duration and unit.

In your case, enter a 2 weeks task, assign a resource, fix the duration and update the work to 30hrs.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Friday, April 28, 2017 10:17 AM
  • Guillaume,

This is what I described above (2 wk duration but 30 hr work effort). MS Project is setup as you stated. However, in Project Online in my Task List there is no column to ensure that the "work" data was uploaded correctly. When Project Online speaks with Portfolio O365 it does not use the correct "work" data, as you described 80/2 =40hrs.

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 4:39 PM
  • First of all, Portfolio O365 will use the work and the duration which are in the project. Meaning that if you have a 2 weeks duration task in the project, Portfolio O365 will return a 2-weeks long task. Similarly if the same task has 40hrs of work, Portfolio O365 will return 40hrs of work on the task.

Thus this is a matter of setting correctly the task in the project more than how Portfolio O365 returns it.

Then a few comments: the sharepoint task list cannot be updated from the "schedule" page accessible from the project center of PWA. It has to be updated either from the site task list or from MS Project. From the Sharepoint task list, I don't think you can edit the work, this is more like a to-do list. You have to use MS Project.

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 7:36 AM
  • If this is the case, this feature is not working for me. 
    Thursday, May 4, 2017 10:34 PM
  • Not sure why it wouldn't work for you. Sharepoint task lists are meant to manage todo's assigned to users, so generally there is no work involved. If you do need to manage assignments with work, then you should use standard projects from the project center, where you'll be able to manage in detail work, duration, units...

Hope this helps,

Friday, May 5, 2017 8:13 AM
  • So I noticed the work in the project center is showing as the total same number as what is in the dashboard. Which are both incorrect. How do I see the breakdown of the work by project in the project center?
    Thursday, May 11, 2017 12:26 AM
  • Hi Jamil,

I think you should read some article, blogs, books about Project Online because there are lots of concepts and features which need to be understood before being able to work correctly and efficiently in Project Online.

For example, your work is NOT incorrect. It is the work which has been calculated based on the information that you entered. Project has a powerful scheduling engine which uses the scheduling best practices shared among the Project Management community. For that point, please refer to my replies above: you should maybe not use sharepoint task lists but standard project plans instead. But you need first to understand the 2 different concepts.

Then to answer your question: you cannot see the project breakdown in the project center, which is not aimed to provide project details. The project center is a portfolio view. If you do need to see the breakdown of a project, either you click on the project name in the project center and navigate to the schedule page, or you use MS Project Pro connected to your Project Online instance.

Hope this helps,

Thursday, May 11, 2017 7:14 AM