Sharepoint Recovery Point Question RRS feed

• Question

• Currently we have Sharepoint 2010 being backed up by DPM 2010.  We have it backing up to disk.  I am keeping recovery points for 3 days.  We do not have a tape library connected to DPM, as we currently use backup exec for our tape backup.  We may eventually move the tape to DPM but that is a whole different story.  What we want to do is to be able to grab the recovery points and move them to a location that I can grab and put on tape with backup exec.  What I would like to know is where are these recovery files stored and what all files do I need to grab in order to get a valid backup?  Also when I restore do I just add the files back to the folders they came from and then they will appear as recovery points from the date restored within DPM?

Thank You,

Thursday, August 18, 2011 4:57 PM

All replies

• You can use the dpmbackup -replicas as a scheduled option to create a point in time snapshot of the DPM data on your DPM server that could be backed up by a third party solution. The problem with this is that as soon as you do you lose the 'application recovery' capabilities of DPM.

Because of the way that DPM is architected for disk based backup it uses an up to date copy of the data on the replica volume and a record of the changed data in VSS snapshots on the recovery point volume. This means that if you attempted to restore the data from tape back into DPM, overwriting the replica or recovery point volumes, you would break the ability to restore. You would also lose any subsequent backups from that point.

The only "DPM legal" way I know to do this, would be to let DPM have access to a tape device or virtual tape device so it can grab the data back and use it's "application recovery" capabilities. In theory you could use something like firestreamer to create a backup to disk and and have your main backup solution pick up that file and dump to tape. You can then restore that virtual tape file and import back into DPM and restore SharePoint data from there - but that means you'd need to purchase firestreamer.

Hope this is helpful.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 10:54 PM