none
Project Server 2010 - Exchange 2007 Task Integration RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

We have configured Project Server 2010 to synchronize the users task with Exchange server 2007. When the Tasks are created/updated in Project Server they are immediately synchronized with Exchange. The updated task appears in Tasks tab of Outlook client.

When users updates the task details(Completed, %Complete) in Outlook client, the Exchange server is not updating the tasks in Project Server. It looks like only Project Server is updating tasks in Exchange as well as reads the updated task details back from Exchange during Exchange Server Task Sync job.

I was under the impression that the Task update is two way. From the current behavior it seems like Exchange server is not updating the task details within PS.

I just want to know this is how the behavior is? or there is some issue with Exchange server configuration that is preventing task updates in PS server immediately.

I do see in the logs that Exchange CAS server are trying to access ExchangeSync.asmx web service on the PS server. But this is happening only at a particular interval, not at the time when task is updated within Outlook client.

Can someone confirm whether Exchange server updates the Task details within PS server directly or not?

Currently PS 2010 server brings back the Outlook tasks update when Exchange Server Task Sync job runs. But I couldn't find a way to tell how frequently to run this sync job.

I just want clarify whether PS 2010 - Exchange Task sync is designed this way or there is some issue in our settings.

Thanks in advance.Raj

Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:07 AM

All replies

• RajuK,

Generally it should be possible that team members update the % complete on their tasks in Outlook from where it will then be pushed back to Project Server. If you get to see the tasks in Outlook, I would say that you configured everything correctly. If I remember correctly, the "pushing back" from Exchange to Project Server is done by a SharePoint Timer job that is scheduled to run only once a day. That might be the reason you're not seeing the updates in Project yet.

If you have access to SharePoint Central Admin (in your test system), feel free to go through the list of Timer jobs in Central Admin. If I remember correctly, the job you're looking for is calledExchange Subscription Refresh Job or something like that. For testing purposes, you can change the schedule type to run every 5 minutes or something like that - or run it on demand to see if it works.

Hope this helps!

Thursday, April 12, 2012 8:11 AM
  • This is normal behavior.

The task updates will come back to Project Server by:

1. A scheduled timer job which by default runs once every day and

2. Whenever you publish the project in which tasks are assigned to user for whom Exchange updates are done

Try doing this:

1. Assign a task to a resource in a Project Plan for whom Exchange Sync is enabled

2. See if you receive the task in Outlook

3. Update progress against the task from Outlook

4. Publish the Project Plan which contains the task

Abhijeet M. Mohite

Thursday, April 12, 2012 1:30 PM
  • You may also refer this post to get more details on this:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectserver2010general/thread/85775e8b-9f52-4e5c-a88a-f27b47a2fd0c

Abhijeet M. Mohite

Thursday, April 12, 2012 1:42 PM
  • Hi Raju,

Hope the explanation helped you.

Abhijeet M. Mohite

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 7:03 AM