none
Hard Drives spin up from idle, by wmiprvse.exe regular checking SMART info RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Windows 10 Pro 1709 with latest update on a desktop PC. I have 1xSSD as system drive, and 2xHDD as storage.

I always want HDDs to spin down if they are not in use. So I set the idle-timeout to be fairly short (4min).
    But I always hear that random spin-up noise when I'm sure there is no user-program trying to access HDDs (I removed drive letters).
    As far as I know, this doesn't happen on Windows 7, which never spins up HDDs unneeded even when going to Suspend(S3).
    And I've confirmed that with another desktop PC. With fresh-installed Win7/10, it behaves the same way as another PC does.

So I managed to use Process Monitor from Sysinternals to find out what's accessing HDDs. Here's what I found in the log:

----------

wmiprvse.exe Process Start  SUCCESS Parent PID: 128, Command line: C:\Windows\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe -secured -Embedding, Current directory: C:\Windows\system32\

wmiprvse.exe CreateFile \Device\Harddisk2\DR2 SUCCESS Desired Access: Generic Read/Write, Dis, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: N, ShareMode: Read, Write, AllocationSize: n/a, Impersonating: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM, OpenResult: Opened
    wmiprvse.exe DeviceIoControl \Device\Harddisk2\DR2 0x80000011 Control: SMART_GET_VERSION
    wmiprvse.exe DeviceIoControl \Device\Harddisk2\DR2 SUCCESS Control: IOCTL_STORAGE_QUERY_PROPERTY
    wmiprvse.exe CloseFile \Device\Harddisk2\DR2 SUCCESS

wmiprvse.exe CreateFile \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 SUCCESS Desired Access: Generic Read/Write, Dis, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: N, ShareMode: Read, Write, AllocationSize: n/a, Impersonating: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM, OpenResult: Opened
    wmiprvse.exe DeviceIoControl \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 SUCCESS Control: SMART_GET_VERSION
    wmiprvse.exe DeviceIoControl \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 SUCCESS Control: SMART_SEND_DRIVE_COMMAND
    wmiprvse.exe DeviceIoControl \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 SUCCESS Control: SMART_RCV_DRIVE_DATA
    wmiprvse.exe CloseFile \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 SUCCESS

wmiprvse.exe CreateFile \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 SUCCESS Desired Access: Generic Read/Write, Dis, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: N, ShareMode: Read, Write, AllocationSize: n/a, Impersonating: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM, OpenResult: Opened
    wmiprvse.exe DeviceIoControl \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 0x80000011 Control: SMART_GET_VERSION
    wmiprvse.exe DeviceIoControl \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 SUCCESS Control: IOCTL_STORAGE_QUERY_PROPERTY
    wmiprvse.exe CloseFile \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 SUCCESS

----------

The DR0 is the SSD, and DR1 & DR2 are the HDDs. I think 0x80000011(STATUS_DEVICE_BUSY) was caused by HDD spin down status.
    The Parent PID 128 is Windows Push Notifications User Service(WpnUserService_ ).

There're some other processes will wake up HDDs, but they don't access HDDs regularly.
    As I logged so far, wmiprvse.exe is the only process will regular access HDDs, which seems nothing to do with files, but checking device health status.

Here is what I found in System Log, of the exact same timestamp:

----------

- System
      - Provider
       [ Name]  ESENT
       - EventID 916
       [ Qualifiers]  0
       Level 4
       Task 1
       Keywords 0x80000000000000
       EventRecordID 10649
       Channel Application
    - EventData
       svchost
       2896,G,0
       EseDiskFlushConsistency
       ESENT
       0x800000

----------

In this case, PID 2896 is Remote Access Connection Manager(RasMan) & Windows Update(wuauserv).

I haven't found any configuration to prevent wmiprvse.exe to check disk SMART information 'unsmartly'. Yet have no conclusion what exact service is calling wmiprvse.exe to do so.
    And that spin-up sound was really frustrating, like Windows fighting with itself.
    I would be grateful if you come up with any idea to solve this problem. It will ease my ears a lot, as well as many others.

• Edited by PlusNt Sunday, November 26, 2017 5:30 AM fix typo
    Saturday, November 25, 2017 2:11 AM

Answers

• Thanks for your patience and explanation.

"interactive between person and computer" inspired me to set up a couple of virtual machines and analyze logs in a different way. I found hard disks barely wake up when there's no interactive between person and computer. After digging in logs I came out a very simple idea:

Start > Settings > Privacy > Background apps

Turn off Microsoft Store

And it works!

Now my hard disks would spin down and stay off whole day. And I found that Windows 10 is doing well avoiding spin up hard disks unnecessarily. It's my old way of thinking that ignored UWP apps & settings.

• Marked as answer by PlusNt Tuesday, December 5, 2017 9:06 AM
    Tuesday, December 5, 2017 9:06 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

The idle status is regarding as low power state in Windows 10 which has changed and different from Windows 7 . The system services and other threads will still run in this state, even through we stopped all applications. Those services were defined to run when your computer in low power state to reduce Internet bandwidth flow range, to reduce CPU consumption in working time, to prepare work file once you wake computer up and so on. If those services need to recall data reserved in data drive, it will wake data drive up to read or write. 

I think low power state is not equal to restrict system reading or writing drive. It just haven't any interactive between person and computer. I would recommend you to have a test for changing your HDD to another computer which have Windows 10 version to verify this.

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by PlusNt Sunday, December 3, 2017 5:39 PM
    Friday, December 1, 2017 5:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What's your device model? How did you set idle time?

"As far as I know, this doesn't happen on Windows 7, which never spins up HDDs unneeded even when going to Suspend(S3)."

"And I've confirmed that with another desktop PC. With fresh-installed Win7/10, it behaves the same way as another PC does."

Do you mean clean the installed Windows 7 and Windows 10 will stop to spin system drive (HDD) when in idle?

Did you upgrade this PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10 1709? Sleep state S3 is different from idle. Almost devices in S3 would consume less power, processor is off and some chips on the motherboard also might be off. But some model even lost power in S3 state.

According to my know, idle means there is no interaction between user and computer. But the process and service will keep to move on. 

WmiPrvSE is the acronym for Windows Management Instrumentation Provider Service. Without WmiPrvSE, applications in Windows would be very difficult to manage as it’s a host that allows all of the necessary management services to operate. Users and administrators alike would also not likely receive notifications when errors did occur. A look through Process Explorer shows it as a child of svchost.exe.

So when you see it in idle, please take it easy.

If you have any concerns about noise, please try to configure advanced Power Option in Control Panel.

Bests,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 3:15 AM
  • Hi,

Any update?

Thursday, November 30, 2017 1:39 AM
  • Thanks for your reply!

"Do you mean clean the installed Windows 7 and Windows 10 will stop to spin system drive (HDD) when in idle?"

In my case, clean-installed Windows 7 will let HDDs stay off, all day, if I don't try to access it;
    Clean-installed Windows 10 will wake up HDDs regularly.

"Did you upgrade this PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10 1709?"

First time it was upgraded from Windows 7, then I re-installed it several times (with Win10, then Win7 for testing, then Win10, all drivers were from Windows Update).

"Sleep state S3 is different from idle."

Sorry for that confusing comment, it's just a complaint and off-topic. What I mean is, Windows 7 won't wake up HDDs before going to S3, while Windows 10 will wake up HDDs first then go to Sleep.

"If you have any concerns about noise, please try to configure advanced Power Option in Control Panel."

I've tried different settings. The default value of Harddisk Power Down Timeout is 20min, and HDDs will spin down, then spin up within 1 hour (roughly).
    If I set Harddisk Power Down Timeout to 40min, then HDDs won't spin down anyway.
    I've also tried POWERCFG's Hard Disk Burst Ignore Time, with settings like 360min it shows no effect (considering that WmiPrvSE is accessing SMART info, not files).

"So when you see it in idle, please take it easy."

Thanks for your kind word!

Now I just put all HDDs into external and switch them on and off manually.

I guess I still didn't explain well, and there's a closed topic on Reddit, maybe it describes the problem more accurately.
    Hard Drives wont stay off after Creators Update
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/67151j/hard_drives_wont_stay_off_after_creators_update/

Regards,

Thursday, November 30, 2017 5:21 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

The idle status is regarding as low power state in Windows 10 which has changed and different from Windows 7 . The system services and other threads will still run in this state, even through we stopped all applications. Those services were defined to run when your computer in low power state to reduce Internet bandwidth flow range, to reduce CPU consumption in working time, to prepare work file once you wake computer up and so on. If those services need to recall data reserved in data drive, it will wake data drive up to read or write. 

I think low power state is not equal to restrict system reading or writing drive. It just haven't any interactive between person and computer. I would recommend you to have a test for changing your HDD to another computer which have Windows 10 version to verify this.

Bests,

• Marked as answer by PlusNt Sunday, December 3, 2017 5:39 PM
    Friday, December 1, 2017 5:23 AM
  • Thanks for your patience and explanation.

"interactive between person and computer" inspired me to set up a couple of virtual machines and analyze logs in a different way. I found hard disks barely wake up when there's no interactive between person and computer. After digging in logs I came out a very simple idea:

Start > Settings > Privacy > Background apps

Turn off Microsoft Store

And it works!

Now my hard disks would spin down and stay off whole day. And I found that Windows 10 is doing well avoiding spin up hard disks unnecessarily. It's my old way of thinking that ignored UWP apps & settings.

• Marked as answer by PlusNt Tuesday, December 5, 2017 9:06 AM
    Tuesday, December 5, 2017 9:06 AM
  • Hi,

Congratulation for your effort and feedback!

It is very valuable for other customers who have the same issue.

Bests,

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 9:15 AM