Screen Capture of Microsoft Word 2003 Grammar Error RRS feed

• Question

• I don't know if I should be laughing or throwing darts at my computer screen.  I'm really disappointed in the coders over there at Microsoft.  They need a refresher course in American English.  I get an upgrade here at work soon, and I plan to open this document in the version of Word I'm upgraded to.  If this isn't corrected in that version. I'll be back to post that error here also.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 6:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

Base on the test, You can try the following solution:

Turn off rules for specific grammar or writing styles. Microsoft Word provides a "natural language" grammar checker that flags possible problems by performing a comprehensive analysis of the text. If the grammar checker can't determine the correct linguistic structure of a sentence, or if it comes across a questionable capitalization, it might incorrectly flag text or propose incorrect suggestions. If the grammar checker flags errors you don't want to fix, you can customize the grammar and writing style rules to be less restrictive.

More information from here:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/troubleshoot-spelling-grammar-and-other-proofing-tools-HP005189212.aspx

Thanks for your understanding..

Sincerely

Rex Zhang

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by Rex Zhang Monday, November 14, 2011 3:42 AM
    Friday, November 11, 2011 6:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

Base on the test, You can try the following solution:

Turn off rules for specific grammar or writing styles. Microsoft Word provides a "natural language" grammar checker that flags possible problems by performing a comprehensive analysis of the text. If the grammar checker can't determine the correct linguistic structure of a sentence, or if it comes across a questionable capitalization, it might incorrectly flag text or propose incorrect suggestions. If the grammar checker flags errors you don't want to fix, you can customize the grammar and writing style rules to be less restrictive.

More information from here:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/troubleshoot-spelling-grammar-and-other-proofing-tools-HP005189212.aspx

Thanks for your understanding..

Sincerely

Rex Zhang

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by Rex Zhang Monday, November 14, 2011 3:42 AM
    Friday, November 11, 2011 6:39 AM
  • I hope you realize whatever answer you gave me is not satisfactory.

Which is why I posted this error because it's wrong. What's the point in having a grammar checker if it suggests incorrect substitutions?  That's neither helpful nor efficient nor useful.

Why would I turn off the rules for grammar in the spell checker?  Whatever the "natural language" it's coded for is not correct English grammar.  I certainly hope that Microsoft corrects the code for this grammar checker.  

YOU IS - has never been correct English grammar, and is never a substitution for you're... it's YOU ARE, that's basic elementary school knowledge. 

As I stated above, I will have an upgrade to another version of Microsoft shortly, and if the mistake is still in Word I will post it here.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 11:32 PM