Workgroup Network Connections Require Old Password RRS feed

• Question

• In a small office environment, two machines are connected to the same Workgroup. One machine is XP SP3, and the other machine is Vista. User on Vista machine can access XP shares with a password set during original workgroup connection of machines (about 2 years ago). Looking to update/change password for this Vista user, when same new! password is set on both machines, the Vista connection to XP shares still requires the old, original password, even though - as mentioned - the XP password has been updated/changed, too. It's as if the only username/password combination that will work for Vista user to access XP shares is the first password ever established for this connection. Any suggestions for refreshing the credentials connection between Vista and XP?

Saturday, December 11, 2010 12:02 PM

Answers

• Yes, I made new device connections, I made new users - nothing worked. Then while in XP : Computer Management > Shared Folders > Sessions - something in the far right column gave me a clue: Guest = 'Yes'.

While in XP Control Panel > User Accounts : Guest listed as 'Guest account is off' (disabled), inside Computer Management > Local Users and Groups > Users : Guest was enabled. And it turned out that the Guest password was set to the old Vista password. While the Sessions : User column showed the Vista user's name, apparently the Vista account was using the Guest account to actually connect to shares.

So when I changed the XP Guest account password, that became the password the Vista user needed to use to connect to XP shares. Apparently in my network configuration, even if Vista users are also XP users with the same credentials, those credentials are not being used in this connection - the XP Guest credentials are making the connection.

I think I can get the actual Vista user accounts to provide authentication for XP; I'll work more with that. Meanwhile, it's good to know that while Control Panel > User Accounts may set Guest as disable, that's more for local access. For network access, the status of the Guest account in Computer Management is the account that rules. If the 'Guest' account is active there in Computer Management, then network users may connect using that Guest account.

• Marked as answer by Tikkune Monday, December 13, 2010 6:21 PM
    • Edited by Tikkune Monday, December 13, 2010 6:23 PM typo
    Monday, December 13, 2010 6:21 PM

All replies

• Have you tried creating new connections for the devices ?

"http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/default.aspx/". This is MICROSOFT'S new, FREE, fully automated, anonymous support portal, which can help users resolve windows and other product issues with a few mouse clicks. BOOKMARK THIS SITE, EVERYBODY !!!
    • Proposed as answer by NTauthority T.Welch Saturday, December 11, 2010 8:47 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Tikkune Monday, December 13, 2010 6:24 PM
    Saturday, December 11, 2010 8:47 PM
  • Yes, I made new device connections, I made new users - nothing worked. Then while in XP : Computer Management > Shared Folders > Sessions - something in the far right column gave me a clue: Guest = 'Yes'.

While in XP Control Panel > User Accounts : Guest listed as 'Guest account is off' (disabled), inside Computer Management > Local Users and Groups > Users : Guest was enabled. And it turned out that the Guest password was set to the old Vista password. While the Sessions : User column showed the Vista user's name, apparently the Vista account was using the Guest account to actually connect to shares.

So when I changed the XP Guest account password, that became the password the Vista user needed to use to connect to XP shares. Apparently in my network configuration, even if Vista users are also XP users with the same credentials, those credentials are not being used in this connection - the XP Guest credentials are making the connection.

I think I can get the actual Vista user accounts to provide authentication for XP; I'll work more with that. Meanwhile, it's good to know that while Control Panel > User Accounts may set Guest as disable, that's more for local access. For network access, the status of the Guest account in Computer Management is the account that rules. If the 'Guest' account is active there in Computer Management, then network users may connect using that Guest account.

• Marked as answer by Tikkune Monday, December 13, 2010 6:21 PM
    • Edited by Tikkune Monday, December 13, 2010 6:23 PM typo
    Monday, December 13, 2010 6:21 PM