none
Admin Privileges RRS feed

• Question

• On my personal computer my account is the Administrator but whenever I attempt to update windows or check for updates, it only says that "Some settings are managed by your system administrator", and it keeps me from changing the setting, I have tried running the control panel as administrator but the same thing keeps appearing. Can someone please help me I am running on Windows 8.1. 
    Sunday, February 21, 2016 4:37 AM

Answers

• Hi Justin13043,

Based on your description, the main issue is that you cannot change Update setting, right?
    Which edition of Windows 8.1 are you using?

First of all, we could try to temporarily turn off any antivirus in case it is blocked by some specific rules.
    If you are using Windows 8.1 higher than Home Basic, please verify whether there are related group policies applied to the machines.
    If you are using Windows 8.1 Home Basic, please verify whether the following registry is existing.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

If you are using Windows 8.1 Pro or higher version, we could try to change the setting by using Group Policy as a workaround.
    Path: Computer Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Windows Components \ Windows Update

Best regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 10:22 AM

All replies

• Since when this problem started?

Did you installed any programs before problem started?

Sunday, February 21, 2016 3:52 PM
  • This happens when a setting is changed in Group policy and usually the easiest way to recover is to do a repair install from the dvd or clean install

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Sunday, February 21, 2016 4:26 PM
  • Hi Justin13043,

Based on your description, the main issue is that you cannot change Update setting, right?
    Which edition of Windows 8.1 are you using?

First of all, we could try to temporarily turn off any antivirus in case it is blocked by some specific rules.
    If you are using Windows 8.1 higher than Home Basic, please verify whether there are related group policies applied to the machines.
    If you are using Windows 8.1 Home Basic, please verify whether the following registry is existing.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

If you are using Windows 8.1 Pro or higher version, we could try to change the setting by using Group Policy as a workaround.
    Path: Computer Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Windows Components \ Windows Update

Best regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 10:22 AM