Steady State and virus Infections RRS feed

• Question

• I am the network admin for a school. I use Steady state on about 100 machines. It made my life way easier. Best thing ever.

I just want to know if the hard drive is protected from making changes to it and restart after log off is set. If a student plugs his flash drive in and it has a virus and the antivirus does not pick it up and the virus infects the pc. Will the restart clear the virus from the pc leaving a clean pc for the next user?

Thursday, August 14, 2008 1:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Given the breadth of viruses in the wild, there's no single answer to that question.  If you have Windows Disk Protection enabled, then all changes made to the boot volume (that is, the volume that contains the Windows directory--typically CSmile will be discarded when the system boots.  WDP will not discard changes made to other volumes (other partitions on the same disk or separate disks).  A virus could also hide in the boot sector or MBR of the hard disk as those areas are not part of the boot volume.  The virus would have to have admistrator access in order to write to the boot sector or MBR, however.

Thanks,
    Rob
    Friday, August 15, 2008 3:02 AM