none
Create a defaut view for the MS Project Server 2010 client RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Forum,

how can I create a defaut view for the MS Project Server 2010 client?

I saved a template and set a default view under File -> Options ->Project View. I also did the same in the checked-out enterprise global. If I then close the client and re-open it my default view changes back again to the previous one (not the view I set as a default view).

What explains this behaviour and what can I do? Any hints?

Thank you very much for your help!

Monday, March 16, 2015 3:05 PM

All replies

• Hi Scheduler007--

This is by design, Project Pro will open on the last view when the project was saved and closed.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Monday, March 16, 2015 4:01 PM
  • Scheduler007 --

The view you selected by clicking File > Options > Project View is the default view for every new project you create from a blank project template.  This is a global option, so setting it from the checked out Enterprise Global file serves no purpose.  When you select a view as your default view, you will see that view applied to the blank project that is opened when you launch Microsoft Project 2010, and you will see it applied if you create new blank projects.  If you create enterprise templates for people to use in your organization, you should simply apply the view to the template that you want as the default so that users will see this view immediately when they create a new project from the template.  In addition, if you apply a view to an open project, close and check in the project, and then reopen the project, you will see the last view applied in that project (as Guillaume correctly points out).

Beyond this, there is no method possible for the Project Server administrator to specify a default view for the Microsoft Project application used by the project managers in your organization.  This is an option each PM must set.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, March 16, 2015 4:11 PM
  • Dear Guillaume, Dale and Community,

first of all thank you for your answer!!

When I open the project locally it works out perfectly and the same view opens that was open previously.

Then I close all projects. Open a blank project file and connect to Server and then  the view changes (my locally defined default view changes to another view that I don't want to have)! It only happens when I connet to the server (not Computer).

Maybe you have another idea what this could be?

Thank you so much!

Monday, March 16, 2015 6:02 PM