none
Project 2013 - How do you sort the list of Enterprise Templates in Project Pro? RRS feed

• Question

• In Project Pro 2013, click File > New > Enterprise I see the list of templates from our project server. We have a global installation with 40-50 templates. These are displayed in a random order and reading through the whole list to find the one I want is quite tedious. Is there a way to sort this list alphabetically? Can the list be displayed as a "details" view rather than icons?
    Wednesday, January 22, 2014 6:28 PM

Answers

• Hi Greg,

Indeed there are no sorting or filtering options in new/enterprise template.

As far as I can see, enterprise template are sorted by creation date (date they were saved on the server).

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 6:41 PM
  • Greg --

Guillaume is totally correct.  The display order of enterprise templates is by the date they were created.  I have tested this on a Project Server 2013 system that has the latest Cumulative Updates applied.  The problem is that in the Microsoft Project 2013 desktop application, Microsoft has ditched the Templates dialog we used to see and replaced it with a page in the Backstage.  I am afraid that in doing so, they have eliminated the sorting capabilities that we found in earlier versions.

Out of curiosity, I have sent an e-mail to my MPV contacts within the Microsoft Project Server development team at Microsoft, asking if there is any intention of changing this functionality to allow for sorting by template name.  If I get an answer, I will post it in this user forum.

Your question is a good one, and the sorting problem (or lack of sorting) can be a real problem in any organization that has a sizable number of enterprise templates.  Hope this additional bit helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 11:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Greg,

Indeed there are no sorting or filtering options in new/enterprise template.

As far as I can see, enterprise template are sorted by creation date (date they were saved on the server).

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 6:41 PM
  • Thank you for the reply. This seems like a gap that Microsoft should address. Even back in 2007 Project Pro/Server you could sort the template list.

Thanks, Greg

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 8:57 PM
  • You are welcome.

Please mark my post as an answer if it answers your question.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 10:45 PM
  • Greg --

Guillaume is totally correct.  The display order of enterprise templates is by the date they were created.  I have tested this on a Project Server 2013 system that has the latest Cumulative Updates applied.  The problem is that in the Microsoft Project 2013 desktop application, Microsoft has ditched the Templates dialog we used to see and replaced it with a page in the Backstage.  I am afraid that in doing so, they have eliminated the sorting capabilities that we found in earlier versions.

Out of curiosity, I have sent an e-mail to my MPV contacts within the Microsoft Project Server development team at Microsoft, asking if there is any intention of changing this functionality to allow for sorting by template name.  If I get an answer, I will post it in this user forum.

Your question is a good one, and the sorting problem (or lack of sorting) can be a real problem in any organization that has a sizable number of enterprise templates.  Hope this additional bit helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 11:01 PM
  • Dale,

Thanks for your extra follow-up! Indeed, I would imagine all customers with large installations would struggle with this and it is a big productivity killer if you are creating large numbers of projects.

Let us know if any response from Microsoft.

Thanks,
    Greg

Thanks, Greg

Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:56 PM
  • Greg --

Big news from my MVP contacts in Microsoft, which I just learned this morning:  This issue will be fixed in the April 2014 Cumulative Update.  So, if you can survive for three more months, Microsoft will be addressing this annoying little problem.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, January 23, 2014 9:24 PM