none
Saving Office documents to Sharepoint Online from Mac OS X

Question

• Hi there,

How to force Mac OS X Office 2016 Apps to update the credentials stored in keychain?

My question is about the issue with Office for Mac applications not properly querying/updating user credentials in Mac OS X keychain. This is not specific to Sharepoint and Sharepoint site settings do not affect this behaviour. Removing user from Sharepoint site and recreating user with new password do not fix this issue.

The issue only happens from MS Office 2016 for Mac OS X Sierra. MS Office 2016 (365 Plus) for Windows do not have this issue. The issue is local to Mac OS X, since saving from other desktop clients work fine. The given user authenticates to Sharepoint with Form based authentication.

Editing documents on Sharepoint site has worked fine for a given user, but suddenly stopped with the following error message:

“Sorry this site hasn’t been shared with you…”

The issue might be related to the entry in keychain, where Word, Powerpoint & Excel store the credentials to the Sharepoint site.

To reproduce the issue I do following.

- login to Sharepont with Firefox and Form-based Authn (other browsers have the same problem, so this is not browser related).

- mark the document to edit, press ... to open menu

- choose Edit, WebApp opens

- choose "Edit in Word/Excel/Powerpoint" from Web Apps top menu
    - MS Word/Excel/Powerpoint opens with dialog "Access required" and “Sorry this site hasn’t been shared with you…” message.

Before this issue happened the dialog window asked for user credentials with Form Authn and after successful authn opened document for shared editing.

So here is my question again:

How to force Mac OS X Office 2016 Apps to update the credentials stored in keychain?

Thursday, April 27, 2017 4:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Mikunis,

Thanks for visiting our forum.

Then this forum mainly focus on general questions about Office client for Mac. Since your issue is about saving Office documents to Sharepoint Online, we'll move your thread to the following forum for Sharepoint online for better response:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/msonline/en-US/home?forum=onlineservicessharepoint

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 28, 2017 8:24 AM
  • Hi Yuki,

Thank you for your action. Have you considered following.

my question is about the issue with Office for Mac applications not properly querying/updating user credentials in Mac OS X keychain. This is not specific to Sharepoint and Sharepoint site settings do not affect this behaviour. Removing user from Sharepoint site and recreating user with new password do not fix this issue.

Friday, April 28, 2017 8:34 AM
  • Additional information:
    - clearing browser cache, history, cookies does not help, the issue with Office 2016 applications, not the browsers. Office applications store cookies some other place specific for Mac OS.
    - recreating user does not work, result is the same.
    - the issue is shown in the screenshot, the authentication form is not appearing as it should, only "Sorry..." message as a result of unsuccessful authentication.

Steps to recreate are shown on the screenshot.

- Use File-Open-Add a place-Sharepoint dialog to add the SP location to an Office application.

Does anyone with working Sharepoint co-authoring have any password entries in keychain logins with SP site names in it? The access control for this must be showing MS Word, Excel etc.
    Friday, April 28, 2017 1:43 PM
  • and the last pointer, this time from Windows. I tried to enforce Windows Office 2016 application to authenticate to Sharepoint site again. This required to clear some entries from registry.

The registry keys in Windows responsible for caching Sharepoint credentials are in this place:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Internet\Server Cache

Where are the corresponding value stored in Mac OS X and how I can clear it without reinstalling OS X?

I'm very much afraid that they are stored in

/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/MicrosoftRegistrationDB.reg

database, which is not "editable" by default.

Friday, April 28, 2017 2:20 PM
  • Hi,

I recommend to use fiddler to track the request when opening documents from SharePoint and see the response.

And please check ULS log to see if there are any unexpected errors there.

Best Regards,

Victoria

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Saturday, April 29, 2017 6:17 AM