none
DPM 2012 D2T System Protection data not using tape with other recovery points RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having a problem with a new DPM 2012 installation. Here's the situation:

• Version: DPM 2012 with Update Rollup 2
    • Server: Windows 2008 R2 Standard Edition with SP1
    • Library: HP 1x8 G2 LTO-5 autoloader
    • Protection: Single protection group covering a variety of data including agent-based data backups, Exchange 2010 databases and Hyper-V VMs

Here's the problem:

The backup kicks off as scheduled and the various protection jobs start moving to tape as they should. However, the System Protection jobs for the machines protected with an agent do not end up on the same tape as the other recovery points. If there is a free tape in the library, the System Protection recovery point uses a separate tape but if there is no free tape other than the one currently in the drive, the System Protection jobs fail after an hour with the error:

"Failed to perform the operation since the tape free tape is not available in the Tape Library Hewlett Packard 1x8 G2 autoloader  (x64 based) (ID 24050)"

This problem isn't exhibited on DPM 2010 although I have to say that was with a standalone drive as opposed to a Library.

Anyone got any ideas on this one? Any suggestions would most appreciated.

Friday, August 31, 2012 3:27 AM

Answers

• So it seems I managed to get to the bottom of this one.

Certain protection jobs were failing due to unrelated issues and whenever a job failed, the following job would start on a new tape. It just so happened that the System Protection jobs were at the end of the backup and some of those had issues causing the last few to shift onto other tapes. Resolving the issues with the jobs that were failing caused all data to end up on one tape.

Unfortunately, if there is an issue with any job for some reason (such as a server being down for maintenance at the time), the job still spills onto more tapes which is frustrating...

• Marked as answer by GuySmith Sunday, November 18, 2012 3:39 PM
    Sunday, November 18, 2012 3:39 PM