MS Word - Auto-Population of Multiple Table Contents based on Single Master "Index" Table RRS feed

• Question

• Morning all,

Hoping this is the right forum for this question, as I'm not sure how to phrase it correctly!

I have a word document constructed of a large number of tables, each of which describes a task and the steps required to complete it. Each task has a number of pre-requisite pieces of information (for example, power ON or OFF for a piece of equipment).

At the start of the document is an Index Table which lists ALL tasks in the document in the order they occur, together with the pre-requisite information.

I already have some VBA code that I've pinched from elsewhere on the internet which can help me reorder the tables within the document based on the order of entries in the index table (i.e. if the order of tasks changes, I can automatically update the document to suit).

What I want to be able to do is have the task tables update based on the information within the Index Table.

To illustrate better what I want to do, an example of an Index Table is included below with four tasks.

Task ID

Task Title

ON/OFF

YES/NO

BLACK/WHITE

UP/DOWN

Task 1

ON

YES

WHITE

DOWN

Task 2

ON

NO

WHITE

UP

Task 3

OFF

NO

BLACK

UP

Task 4

ON

YES

BLACK

DOWN

A typical Task table may look like this:

Task ID

Task Title

Task 1

ON/OFF

YES/NO

BLACK/WHITE

UP/DOWN

ON

YES

WHITE

DOWN

Task info....

Task info....

Task info....

Next Task

Task 2    [ON-YES-WHITE-DOWN]

I have the Task ID and Task Title set up as headings, so can use cross references to read those into the Task Tables.

What I want to now do is, when a Task Table has read in the Task ID and Task Title, it can auto populate the required fields with the "pre-requisite" information. I.e. for Task Table 1, it understands that the reference pre-requisite information is ON-YES-WHITE-DOWN and populates the table accordingly. It would also be beneficial if I could read in the same information for the next task (in this example, Task 2) to populate a row at the bottom of the table.

The reason we need to do this is that whilst the Task content is generally quite fixed, the order in which tasks are completed in are vital to safe completion of the overall task. Our documents are quite large, and manually changing all tasks based on

I know there is other software better suited for this, but we are trying to understand if this can be achieved in Word before we explore other options.

My explanation is probably a bit poor, but if anyone is able to help or has any further questions I'd be very happy to try and elaborate!

Kind Regards,

Ben

Monday, September 11, 2017 10:56 AM

All replies