none
Windows Server 2019 Datacenter boot loops after enabling Hyper-V

Question

• I took my Windows Server 2016 Datacenter test server in my home lab (Dell R710 with two X5650s and 32GB of RAM) and installed Server 2019 Datacenter on it to try out the new features that are centered around VMs (Hyper-V) and data deduplication. The OS install went fine, but after enabling Hyper-V in Server Manager, the system goes through its normal reboot that occurs during Hyper-V enablement, then it proceeds to boot loop. Windows Server 2019 install media's boot repair does not fix the issue, and I cannot get in via Safe Mode. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Friday, October 5, 2018 11:18 PM

All replies

• I have two T710s that I knew I was pushing my luck to install Server 2016 with Hyper-V role on and both with no issues. I have not yet tried Server 2019 on host. Without manufacturer support you may be out of luck. Best shot is to update ROMbios, firmware, chipset, and drivers to latest available.

https://www.windowsservercatalog.com/item.aspx?idItem=26b34bcf-1cf1-ffe7-8ee2-bc5876ebb3eb&bCatID=1282

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, October 5, 2018 11:28 PM
  • Yeah, Server 2016 ran great, I mean it was as stable as can be, no issues. The BIOS and all associated firmware (iDrac, H700, etc...) versions are up to the current standard.

For some reason the problem only presents after trying to enable Hyper-V, if I leave Hyper-V disabled then Server 2019 seems to run okay... Not sure what the problem could be...

Saturday, October 6, 2018 12:11 AM
  •  Not sure what the problem could be...

Simply put it is unsupported hardware. You can also ask Dell or in their support forums to confirm.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Dave PatrickMVP Wednesday, November 7, 2018 4:38 AM
    Saturday, October 6, 2018 12:47 AM
  • I'm having the exact same issue on an R720, which is Server 2016 Certified. (Not even the current gen 740s are 2019 certified as it just was released). Furthermore, the issue occurs on only the RTM build and not the most recent preview so I suspect there is an issue in the way the hypervisor interacts with Dell hardware -- something I imagine would be important to fix.
    Saturday, October 6, 2018 2:05 AM
  • R710's are still pretty popular servers to test with, so I hope either Dell or Microsoft release the proper drivers for Windows Server 2019... Only time will tell...
    • Edited by Codebooker Saturday, October 6, 2018 2:06 AM
    Saturday, October 6, 2018 2:05 AM
  • Let me put some additional information to paint the whole picture 

You could install Hyper-V role, if you disable virtualisation in BIOS. Of course it doesn't work, but at list that remove server from infinite boot loop.

This issue exist on almost every BIOS version for R710: I tried 6.3.0, 6.4.0, 6.5.0 and latest one 6.6.0 - same result.

It not depends of Xeon type - I tried 5530, 5570, 5620, 5650 - same result.

Workaround: Use BIOS Mode - it works.

• Edited by RAIN_D Wednesday, November 7, 2018 4:30 AM
    Saturday, October 6, 2018 2:38 PM
  • You want the wackiest fix ever, install Server 2019 in BIOS mode instead of UEFI and it'll work...

I just figured that out last night after staying up all night testing...

Pull all drives not the boot drive, and then go into BIOS and set boot mode as BIOS instead of UEFI, then format your boot drive as MBR using diskpart in the installer, and install Server 2019, after the initial setup is done, shut the server down, pop your storage drives back in, and it'll work with Hyper-V and all other features...

Something is screwy with the way Windows Server 2019 handles communication with UEFI... Hopefully, Microsoft will fix that issue as I've heard that R720's have the same problem as R710's according to folks on the r/HomeLab subreddit...

• Edited by Codebooker Saturday, October 6, 2018 4:41 PM
    • Proposed as answer by RAIN_D Wednesday, November 7, 2018 4:30 AM
    Saturday, October 6, 2018 4:37 PM
  • I'll add my +1 here. R710, 2019 iso from VLSC, reboot loop when hyperv is enabled. 
    Thursday, October 11, 2018 8:30 PM
  • I've got the same issue on ah DELL VRTX with M520 Blade-Server... recent Firmware/bios, but also tested with older BIOS versions allready...
    Monday, November 19, 2018 12:02 PM
  • I don't think this is just related to DELL Servers. I tried 2019 DC on 4 of my test home lab servers. 2x IBM x3550 M3's, 1x IBM x3650 M2 and my DELL R410. I reverted back to 2016 on 3 except my x3650 M2.

In my experience, with the x3650 M2 (UEFI), system stays up with hyper-v roll installed, but as soon as I start and reboot my Gen2 VM (UEFI), systems crashes. I'm wondering if anyone who tried had the same issue with Gen2 VM's or specific to Gen2 Guest. I want to spin up a Gen1 VM and see if it's the same case. I'm also running a Intel x520-da2 10GB nic for my storage direct (WSSD). I was only able to find Server 2016 drivers from Intel, wondering if that's causing some sort of a IRQ issues. I will have to try removing it tomorrow.

Saturday, November 24, 2018 5:59 AM
  • +1.  Server 2019 Standard, Dell R710, UEFI all Ok then enabled Hyper-V role and crashes right at start of Windows OS startup.
    Sunday, November 25, 2018 12:55 PM
  • +1 on Dell R520. I have to wonder how things like this get into a GA. Seems so obvious.

Rob Holmes

Sunday, November 25, 2018 7:30 PM
  • Dell R610 PowerEdge (latest BIOS v6.6.0) has the same problem.

Installs fine with UEFI activated but once Hyper-V feature is installed it enters a reboot loop.

Switch to none UEFI boot mode and reinstall and you can install Hyper-V without any problems.

Regards,

Martin

Monday, November 26, 2018 12:47 PM
  • I have a workstation that is doing something similar. Supermicro X11SPI-TF with intel scalable 8176 and 128 gb of memory running with a Samsung 983 NVMe. WS2019 installed on the only drive and in EFI mode. Installs hyper-v, goes through the usual restart process and upon reboot it is fine for about say 1 minute, screen freezes and then The BCM reboots. Never recovers and if it allowed to reboot a few times, it seems to cause disk corruption. If you work fast and remove hyper-v role after the initial errant reboot, no harm. Will Leave off hyper-v for now until it’s fixed for EFI. I had to reinstall the OS a few times to figure out what was the offending role.
    Monday, November 26, 2018 10:12 PM
  • +1 for us as well.

Dell R720, Server 2019 Standard. I was replacing a 2012 Hyper-V Core installation with 2019 Standard, and restoring VMs.

Installed and booted fine, started looping after Hyper-V Role was added.  MBR wasn't an option because of the 2TB limit, unfortunately, so had to revert to using 2016.

Tuesday, November 27, 2018 1:59 PM
  • +1 for us as well.

Dell R720, Server 2019 Standard. I was replacing a 2012 Hyper-V Core installation with 2019 Standard, and restoring VMs.

Installed and booted fine, started looping after Hyper-V Role was added.  MBR wasn't an option because of the 2TB limit, unfortunately, so had to revert to using 2016.

MBR and UEFI/BIOS haven't that much together...

i'm on Server 2019 BIOS Mode now and still  having 3,5TB LUNs...

i think you gonna mix something up there :)

still using BIOS instead of UEFI have some security "quirks"

Tuesday, November 27, 2018 2:10 PM
  • AntWorks ProTech,

I'm not sure what PERC controller you have in that machine but I worked around it by creating disks at the controller level. I have a 710 Mini Mono in my R520 so we did a RAID 10 array of All the disks and created 2 virtual disks, one for the system drive (210GB, adjust yours to your build) and the rest in a large 30TB+ disk.

Install on the 210GB Disk during W2019 installation. Once installed, use Disk Management to  make the remaining disk GPT etc... I was able to get this successfully up and running with Hyper-V installed. I used ReFS for the large disk but I'm sure you could use NTFS if you need too. Hope this helps.

Rob Holmes

Tuesday, November 27, 2018 2:17 PM
  • AntWorks ProTech,

I'm not sure what PERC controller you have in that machine but I worked around it by creating disks at the controller level. I have a 710 Mini Mono in my R520 so we did a RAID 10 array of All the disks and created 2 virtual disks, one for the system drive (210GB, adjust yours to your build) and the rest in a large 30TB+ disk.

Install on the 210GB Disk during W2019 installation. Once installed, use Disk Management to  make the remaining disk GPT etc... I was able to get this successfully up and running with Hyper-V installed. I used ReFS for the large disk but I'm sure you could use NTFS if you need too. Hope this helps.

Rob Holmes

Thanks Rob, that does sound like a valid option. Unfortunately I was in a time crunch for the client, so I didn't have much play time, as the restore was going to be 10+ hours.

Hopefully we'll get some more insight as to a fix soon.

Tuesday, November 27, 2018 2:58 PM
  • No Problem. My suggestion is good for MBR type setups and a workaround if UEFI is NOT a requirement, but if your client or requirements have need for UEFI it's not a workable solution. MS certainly needs to resolve this, and quickly.

Rob Holmes

Tuesday, November 27, 2018 3:02 PM
  • Just to follow up, I install Server 2019 Standard on a T610 test server, and the same problem occurred.  As noted previously by RAIN_D disabling "Virtualization Technology" under "Processor Settings" does allow the machine to boot. BIOS Version 6.4.0. I haven't tried updating it, but RAIN_D also confirmed already that doesn't seem to make a difference on the 710s, so my hopes are low.
    Tuesday, November 27, 2018 5:03 PM
  • I had the same issue with a Dell PowerEdge T410 but I've found a workaround.

1. install as legacy BIOS

2. install Hyper-V Roll

3. Convert partition table from MBR to GPT with MBR2G

PowerShell "mbr2gpt.exe /convert /allowfullOS"

4. Go into BIOS and switch boot type to UEFI

4. Add UEFI boot option EFI\Boot\BOOTX64.EFI (via F11 UEFI boot options)

Make sure this at the top of your boot order.

And now you have Hyper-V roll working with UEFI.

Very weird bug but glad I’ve got round it. 

Hope this helps :)

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 3:49 PM

2. install Hyper-V Roll

I tried this, and when starting a VM it tells me the hypervisor is not running.  I ran

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype Auto

to enable the hypervisor and rebooted, and I'm back to a boot loop.

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 5:57 PM
  • Yeah was about to post back, as soon as i ran bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype Auto to enable the hypervisor the bootloop came back for me too.
    Friday, November 30, 2018 6:04 PM
  • Having the same issue on Dell R720 all Firmware updates are updates as of 12/15/18 - Hyper-V role install still gets stuck in a boot loop. Any word on a resolution other than going to BIOS mode instead of UEFI?
    Sunday, December 16, 2018 1:59 AM
  • I am also having this issue on multiple UEFI enabled machines when the hyper-v role is installed.

Another thing I noticed is that a "reboot" command from windows results in a shutdown.

Sunday, December 16, 2018 10:47 PM
  • I got the same issue. Installed Windows 2019 and latest update, no issues. After installed the HyperV role server keep rebooting. Any Fix? Or I have to reinstall the OS again?

sony

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 8:56 PM
  • Same here on a Dell Server that worked perfectly with Server 2016.  I've currently got HyperV installed and ready to go, but have turned off virtualisation in BIOS to avoid the boot loop.

I'm basically refreshing 5 or 6 webpage tabs on the issue, awaiting an update from MS.

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 10:18 AM
  • Same problem here on Dell R510 with H700, UEFI mode. Latest Dell BIOS 1.14.0. Latest H700 firmware 12.10.7-0001. 

Server 2019 datacenter desktop updated with all windows updates as of 12/24/18. 

Bill Coulter

Monday, December 24, 2018 8:23 PM
  • I'm having the same issue on a Dell R520.

It worked fine on Windows 2016, and it worked fine on the Windows 2019 Insider Preview.

It's only on the release version of Windows Server 2019 that this bug seems to appear.

Tuesday, December 25, 2018 12:10 AM
  • Just for information: I have a Dell Compellent SC8000 which is basically a R720 without disks, and to be able to use it, I connected an old  SATA SSD to the secondary onboard SATA connector, and installed Server 2019 on that in UEFI mode. After enabling Hyper-V it started up normally, and I could create a VM and start it without any problems.

This is of course not a solution for a production environment, but still interesting as to what might cause the problem. 

I also have a 'normal' R720 with a H710P mini and can't get it to work in UEFI mode either like others in this thread.

• Edited by LucDorpmans Wednesday, December 26, 2018 1:21 PM
    Wednesday, December 26, 2018 1:01 AM
  • I am working on building my Server 2019 Hyper-V lab environment, and want to share my experience so far, maybe it is usefull for someone:

I succesfully installed the Hyper-V role on an  Oracle X3-2 (rebranded SunFire X4170 M3) and on an IBM iDataPlex dx360 M4 both in UEFI mode. Both use relatively old LSI/Avago disk controllers.

I was able to create and start Gen2 VM's on both these servers.

On my R720 (itself in BIOS mode) I enabled Hyper-V nesting on a Gen2 VM (which itself is UEFI) and was able to install Hyper-V in that VM , and was able to create and start a Gen2 VM within that VM.

So it seems it doesn't happen with all UEFI hardware. In this thread I've read mostly problem with Dell (PERC?), a SuperMicro system and a Samsung NVMe disk.

• Edited by LucDorpmans Wednesday, December 26, 2018 1:33 PM
    Wednesday, December 26, 2018 4:41 AM
  • Me too.
    Same problem here on Dell T320 with H710p, UEFI mode. Latest Dell BIOS 2.6.0. Latest PERC H710p firmware 21.3.5-0002. 

Saturday, January 12, 2019 12:28 PM
  • +1 for a Dell PowerEdge R720 with an H710P PERC. Infinite boot loop after enabling the Hyper-V role. I'm running in UEFI mode with virtualization technology enabled. RAID10 SSDs with a 100GB VD for boot and remaining space for a data. Thought is was a one-time quirk at first so did a wipe-and-rebuild. Ended up with the exact same result.
    Wednesday, January 16, 2019 4:47 PM
  • Same problem with dell r710s with UEFI boot. is their any response from Microsoft on this problem. Microsoft  defiantly needs to rethink their QC model.
    Thursday, January 17, 2019 7:44 AM
  • Same issue with WIndows 10, it is why I installed a version of Windows 2019 to create my lab.... no luck

Butor

Thursday, January 17, 2019 9:47 PM
  • Same, Server 2019 RTM on Dell R710 :(
    Friday, January 18, 2019 5:55 AM
  • Any update from Microsoft?
    Sunday, January 20, 2019 12:19 PM
  • Its very unfortunate that Microsoft is not taking care of such big BUG.
    Monday, January 21, 2019 9:14 PM
  • It's fixed in the latest update. Just run windows update.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4476976
    • Proposed as answer by Jirikus Sunday, January 27, 2019 12:55 PM
    Saturday, January 26, 2019 3:55 PM
  • I can confirm it on a dell r710 gen 1-2 that the update fixes the boot loop problem and hyper v now installs and works as intended with UEFI. now if only Microsoft can release the RDP UDP fixes. i hear it will be released in February.

Must Run Windows Update and Install KB4476976

• Proposed as answer by tester22 Monday, January 28, 2019 9:57 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by tester22 Monday, January 28, 2019 9:57 AM
    • Edited by tester22 Monday, January 28, 2019 10:02 AM add UEFI and KB
    Monday, January 28, 2019 8:53 AM
  • @Tester22 & @Fred_2004
    Can you confirm wether or not you got it working with uefi with that update?

• Edited by AzuriaDK Monday, January 28, 2019 9:38 AM added attention
    Monday, January 28, 2019 9:38 AM
  • yes to uefi working on dell r710
    Monday, January 28, 2019 9:56 AM
  • I install KB4476976 on Dell PowerEdge T320 with H710p, UEFI mode. But, boot loops after enabling Hyper-V, again.

Oh no. I would like to enable Hyper-V in the non-UEFI mode.

Sunday, February 3, 2019 7:44 AM
  • On DELL R720/620 I can confirm KB4476976  does fix this issue. Building a custom ISO with CU slipstreamed so I can in place upgrade without first needing to remove the Hyper-V role.
    Monday, February 4, 2019 7:00 PM
  • Does anyone who is experiencing this problem NOT have ECC or RDRAM or something similar on their server/PC?

I Wonder if that is the problem...

Wednesday, February 6, 2019 1:47 AM
  • I second this.  KB4476976 fixed my R620.  Has Microsoft released a boot ISO with this fix in it?  I have more cluster members to build and would like to run windows updates a the conclusion of the build rather than at midstream.
    Wednesday, February 6, 2019 10:56 PM
  • Same bug after install Hyper-V Role and reboot

unlimited time logo freeze at windows startup.

• Windows 2016 Datacenter
    • UEFI
    • Hyper-V role installed
    • Dell R440

How to return it in work?

Friday, February 8, 2019 9:33 AM
  • 3 Ways to return it to success OS loading:

• BIOS: Virtualization Techology - switch to disable
    • BIOS: Disable UEFI (need OS reinstall)
    • Windows Safe Mode: remove hyper-v role

Its a prob only with Windows 2016 DC, Standard works fine...

Friday, February 8, 2019 11:20 AM

2. install Hyper-V Roll

I also tried this method.
    That is, switching from Dell PowerEdge T320 with H710p, non-UEFI mode to UEFI mode.
    After switching to UEFI mode, when "bcdedit / set hypervisorlaunchtype auto" was executed, boot loop also occurred. . .
    Sunday, February 10, 2019 6:44 AM
  • Can't say which particular update fixed it, but I can confirm a fresh build with all windows updates as of 2/21/19 works properly on the Dell R510. 

Run windows update repeatedly prior to enabling the Hyper-V role. Problem does not appear. 

The particular update cited by others on this page does not show in my update history on this fresh build. Presumably any cumulative update after that one will include the fix for Hyper-V. 

Bill Coulter

22 hours 12 minutes ago