Application stops when navigating folders RRS feed

• Question

• In Vista Home Premium (x32), all applications (Office XP, TurboTax, OpenOffice, etc) in which the folder window is the type that has the "up one level" navigation option (folder icon with arrow going left and then up) shut down ("x has stopped working") when I attempt to navigate folders (as in open or save as). This even happens in Vista programs such as changing the mouse icons.
    The workaround is to avoid navigating through the folder window by going to Windows Explorer and putting the target file in the folder where the particular folder window starts. I can then go back to Explorer and put it where it needs to be later. Not very practical and not at all conducive to good feelings about Vista.
    Sunday, February 3, 2008 3:31 PM

Answers

• It appears to be working now. The solution is to go ahead and download the Vista Service Pack 1 (in spite of what you might have heard about it, it does work at least for this problem). Recalling, however, that the applications worked fine for about a month, I would jot down the workarounds above and keep in practice with WordPerfect X3.

It is interesting to note, by the way, that right after I posted that last workaround, I got another "update" and it stopped working.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 7:57 PM

All replies

• Playing around with the computer, I found that I can usually navigate the folder window if I click "open," immediately close the folder window, then open it again right away (it won't work if it's opened only once). This workaround works only when the folders are in detail view and the column width is at 160 pixels (one problem - the column width in the other views seems to want to shrink to 25 for no good reason). Haven't found any Vista default choice anywhere that forces the pixel or view options (much less the folder format).
    Is there anyone out there who has any idea what's going on?
    Wednesday, February 13, 2008 1:24 PM
  • So what's the point of posting problems? Does anyone from Microsoft look at them? Does anyone at Microsoft even care?
    Wednesday, March 12, 2008 3:41 PM
  • Since evidently people are still looking at this, I'll go ahead and point out that the second workaround has stopped working, and I'm back to the nasty process described in the first entry. Microsoft Vista is indeed a giant step backward, even worse than the old days when we had to have restart buttons because of the frequency of freeze-ups. At least then I could navigate the folders.
    Oddly enough, WordPerfect 3X works perfectly. The problems are thus pretty obviously Microsoft and its incompetence and totally uncaring attitude toward its victims.

Sunday, March 16, 2008 2:34 PM
  • This is just a slightly educated guess here, but since no one has come forward saying they know exactly what is causing this, I would try the troubleshooting procedure described here:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm

If you have any non-standard context menu entries for folders, that could well be the cause.

Good Luck,

Keith

Sunday, March 16, 2008 5:57 PM
  • ANOTHER WORKAROUND!
    First, thanks to Keith for his suggestion. It didn't work, but judging from the number of views this page received, it looks like quite a few other people have this problem. I hope your suggestion worked for some of them.
    In the meantime, start Word and save the current page to the folder it's open to (probably Documents) as "Placeholder" (or anything else, for that matter -- perhaps something reflecting how you feel about Microsoft). The next time you start Word, open that file and keep it open. Now you should at least sometimes be able to navigate through the folders (just don't go "up" too far). Apparently, document 2 doesn't have the same problems document 1 has.
    Now start Excel, Powerpoint, OpenOffice, and other applications that have the same problem and open placeholder documents for them as well.
    So when is Microsoft going to address this problem? -- Problem? What problem???
    Monday, March 17, 2008 1:28 PM
  • The only one of the dialogs that you mentioned that I can access is the Mouse Pointer dialog -- and the 'Up one level' button works fine here, sorry.

So I'm assuming the new Common Dialogs (Notepad, Paint, etc.) work fine for navigating the same directory structure.  Is that correct?

Another guess here:  I'm wondering if the older dialogs rely on 8.3 filenames & if those are disabled on your computer?

Try a 'dir /x' in a command prompt from your userprofile folder.  Do you have output similar to the following:

C:\Users\Keith>dir /x
     Volume in drive C is Laptop C
     Volume Serial Number is 6A7C-2F6A

Directory of C:\Users\Keith

03/14/2008  05:44 PM    <DIR>                       .
    03/14/2008  05:44 PM    <DIR>                       ..
    02/05/2008  01:32 PM    <DIR>          BLUETO~1     Bluetooth Software
    03/12/2008  10:14 PM    <DIR>                       Contacts
    03/16/2008  09:42 PM    <DIR>                       Desktop
    03/16/2008  10:21 PM    <DIR>          DOCUME~1     Documents
    03/16/2008  05:52 PM    <DIR>          DOWNLO~1     Downloads
    03/16/2008  02:16 AM    <DIR>          FAVORI~1     Favorites
    02/29/2008  09:56 PM    <DIR>                       Links
    03/16/2008  04:37 PM    <DIR>                       Music
    03/16/2008  03:44 AM    <DIR>                       Pictures
    03/16/2008  03:44 AM    <DIR>          SAVEDG~1     Saved Games
    02/26/2008  11:15 PM    <DIR>                       Searches
    02/17/2008  05:44 PM            31,160              services.txt
    01/15/2008  08:26 PM    <DIR>                       Videos
                   1 File(s)         31,160 bytes
                  14 Dir(s)  76,024,672,256 bytes free

Also, did you ever check event viewer for error info when the apps crashed?

Keith

Monday, March 17, 2008 6:32 PM
  • Thanks, Keith. I really appreciate your help.
    The Notepad, Paint, etc folder windows work fine, since they're the type that have the foreward/backward arrows.
    On the 8.3 filenames, I know what they are (I go back to the TRS-80, though I'm no computer expert by a long shot), but I don't know about disabling them (and which ones to disable).
    My dir /x simply gives me a list of the items I have in my user folder. It's much more extensive than yours, as I'm operating on a PC rather than a laptop.
    The event viewer reveals the following (for a typical app failure today):
    Faulting application WINWORD.EXE, version 10.0.6838.0, time stamp 0x471db861, faulting module PROPSYS.dll, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549bd96, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0000a8f9, process id 0x9f0, application start time 0x01c8882e03ed297e.
    I recall that there was a suggestion on a problem that looked like it might be related and that had to do with propsys.dll. I tried renaming it to no avail. At the moment, it's back in its original form in windows/sys32.
    --Toby

Monday, March 17, 2008 10:16 PM
  • When you executed 'dir /x', was there a shortname for every name over 8 characters or that contained a space?

03/17/2008  04:13 PM    <DIR>          DOCUME~1     Documents
    03/16/2008  05:52 PM    <DIR>          DOWNLO~1     Downloads
    03/16/2008  02:16 AM    <DIR>          FAVORI~1     Favorites

03/17/2008  06:34 PM    <DIR>          SPACEX~1     Space XX

Monday, March 17, 2008 11:35 PM
  • Each one has a short name.
    Apparently typical of these problems, the computer worked fine for about a month. The situation first surfaced when I was simply attempting to save a Word document that I was formating in booklet form (and I've taken out the Normal.dot in place at the time).
    I've been all through everything that has a date around the time of the problem. I have some suspicion about a directory cleaner from Uniblue. After their software did mess some things up later (which I was able to correct), I have removed all Uniblue programs and do not recommend them (though Microsoft apparently does).
    I attempted to restore the system to an earlier point, but for some reason the points' dates didn't correspond to their actions, even in safe mode. I did try this a bit late in the process, though, having first removed and reinstalled Word Office several times. Quite disappointed that the system restore doesn't go back nearly as far as in XP.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 12:24 PM
  • OK.  Wanted to make sure you had short names & that wasn't clear in your first reply.  I can't think of anything else to try right now.  Sorry.

Keith

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 4:16 PM
  • It's as though Microsoft were monitoring this thread just to find out what workarounds are being developed -- and then sabotaging them. The Placeholder-file workaround no longer works if you click on the "up one level" icon. Instead, you have to drop the menu and click on the level above your Documents folder (probably your user folder).
    Is there anyone else out there who has found another workaround? Or better still, a solution? I don't think we'll get one from Microsoft. Their "solution" is to "upgrade" to Word 2007; and if you read all of the entries on that one, you'll probably think again. I guess their tactic is to make XP impossible, so we'll all switch to 2007. Then in 2010, they'll fix the problems and unleash another monster..
    In the meantime, Corel WordPerfect X3 works without any hitches, and you can save it in Word document form.
    Tuesday, March 25, 2008 9:58 PM
  • It appears to be working now. The solution is to go ahead and download the Vista Service Pack 1 (in spite of what you might have heard about it, it does work at least for this problem). Recalling, however, that the applications worked fine for about a month, I would jot down the workarounds above and keep in practice with WordPerfect X3.

It is interesting to note, by the way, that right after I posted that last workaround, I got another "update" and it stopped working.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 7:57 PM
  • Glad to hear it's working, at least for now! Smile

Friday, March 28, 2008 5:00 PM