Logging out of IAG is killing my Facebook session RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have been using IAG for some time in our company, and one of our user traced back a strange issue: he is browsing our applications through IAG 2007 SP2 U2 on one tab, and is browsing Facebook on another tab (IE7).

He noticed that after properly logging out of IAG (Logout link), his Facebook session is also killed ; Facebook asks him to log-in again when he wants to click a link.

I unchecked the "Nullify cookies on Logoff" option in IAG, because I thought it could come from here, but it didn't change anything.
    FYI we are not using the endpoint client policies (ActiveX).

After some tests we were able to reproduce the problem with other websites (for example Viadeo) and other versions of Internet Explorer, but surprisingly we didn't have the problem with Firefox.

I ran some tests with a HTTP sniffer, and I didn't see anything wrong with the cookies.

Does anyone know what could be wrong, or what other test I could run ?

Thank you very much.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 4:22 PM

Answers

• Very interesting...

Bob can you email me?  dennis ( @ ) celestix com

Thanks you.
    Dennis

• Marked as answer by Erez Benari Wednesday, March 24, 2010 8:42 PM
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 7:25 PM

All replies

• Hi Bob,

Did you try to replicate the issue on a different computer?  are these computers corporate assets or a users personal home computer?

Thanks
    Dennis
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 8:38 PM
  • Hi Bob,
    We have not seen this issue with other customers, but try this - run the portal with IE8 and see if it makes a difference. IE8 has process separation as part of it's security, and that is very good for isolating sites from each other.
    Ben Ari
    Microsoft CSS IAG Support
    Sammamish, WA
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 11:07 PM
  • Thanks Dennis and Ben for your answers.

We were able to reproduce the issue on different corporate computers (including one with IE8). I ran tests with an up-to-date IAG (Update 3) but this incomprehensible issue is still here...

I have never seen such an issue before, and I don't understand how it can happen.

Do you have an idea about other tests to run ?

Thank you.

Friday, March 19, 2010 9:17 AM
  • Sorry for jumping in in the middle of this thread.

Bob, I noticed you said "FYI we are not using the endpoint client policies (ActiveX)." However, are IAG client components installed on your client machine(s)? Can you remove these components and then test again? I'm thinking that, even though you said cookies seem OK, still maybe IAG's Attachment Wiper deletes some Facebook cookie at the end of the session.

-Ran

Friday, March 19, 2010 1:11 PM
  • Thanks Ran for your idea.

Unfortunately I reproduced the issue on two other computers which had never connected to IAG before (therefore they don't have the client components installed).

Friday, March 19, 2010 4:13 PM
  • Just to make sure: so these two other computers that had never connected to IAG before, when you connected to IAG this first and single time, you did not allow the installation of client components and opted to "continue with limited functionality"? Or is the option “Disable component installation and activation” selected in the IAG Configuration console?

-Ran

Friday, March 19, 2010 5:03 PM
  • Yes the option "Disable component installation and activation" is selected in IAG configuration.
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 12:49 PM
  • Very interesting...

Bob can you email me?  dennis ( @ ) celestix com

Thanks you.
    Dennis

• Marked as answer by Erez Benari Wednesday, March 24, 2010 8:42 PM
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 7:25 PM