Wireless logon to domain with windows XP? RRS feed

• Question

• The problem is, my company want the user login their domain login ID in wireless connection, but no connection have been establish because wireless will only up after windows are up. There's no problem when we using LAN as connection. We need this domain credential since our web system using sharepoint.

So i've tried some possible solution from my foe, forum and google it to find the best solution such :

1) Using cache credential, it success but only apply if laptop are dedicated to one user, and in aur case the device are using by random user so it's not one of the solution for us.

2) Using group policy to local pc ' Always wait for the networkat computer startup and logon' then set policy in our AD in OU wireless computer which is wireless network policy and using the setting that same with our policy that using WPA and TKIT credential so the we hope that the pc will wait the network to establish with wireless connection before login.

Sadly its still cannot find the network, DO YOU HAVE SOME SUGGESTION WITH THIS SOLUTION.

3) Some people say it's xp limitation, so we need to upgrade to windows 7 to make it happen, i don't want to this solution because i'm sure there is a way solve it in xp.

Hopefully peaple here are willing to help me find other solution for it.. thank for ur time for reading this..

Thursday, October 7, 2010 2:18 AM

Answers

• I had this problem on my network at work too, and the fix is simple believe it or not.  What you have to do is use group policy to configure the wireless settings. Then when the computer turns on it will get a connection before a user enters their credentials. 

1.Open Group Policy Management.

2.Create or modify an existing group policy that will affect these devices OU.

3.Edit  Wireless Network policy in Windows settings.

4.Add your SSID and security settings settings to this policy.

5.Give it time to replicate throughout your network.

6.Restart your clients and test it.

Friday, January 13, 2012 1:57 PM

All replies

• D first suggestion about caching logon credentials is WHAT U NEED. i think you'r wrong thinking, it would only work for single user.IT WORKS FOR MULTIPLE USERS IN A DOMAIN.simply increase the number of cached credentials to be equal to the number of users tthat require wireless logon.Do this through group policy at the domain level.let me know how it works.Good luck
    Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Monday, October 11, 2010 10:13 PM
  • hye there.. thanks for the reply, but i've question about deploying cache crediential in this matters. Ok, the way we create a cache crediential is by let the user login to the domain by wired connection at first place, than after profile have created we can use it as cache crediential profile in wireless connection.

This's what've done to the 1st solution. Yes it help, but the problem is we need every user that using the laptop to login to the domain by wired fisrt so then we can begin the cache credential after that. It's because the laptop use by random user and in next meeting or sumthin event the user won't using the same laptop as a previous meeting, so i think it very hassle job to begin with except you have another suggested option for me in this cache credential solution. or maybe it's a way or tool to create domain user profile manually and it should helps, perhaps.. ;)

This is what i'm understand about cache credential and if i'm wrong plz let me know maybe you have another view in this cache credential. I'm a newbee so your guide are important to me.. thanks again and hope to hear soon from u..

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 7:10 AM
  • I have the same issue with cached credentials. Please help.
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 11:20 PM
  • I had this problem on my network at work too, and the fix is simple believe it or not.  What you have to do is use group policy to configure the wireless settings. Then when the computer turns on it will get a connection before a user enters their credentials. 

1.Open Group Policy Management.

2.Create or modify an existing group policy that will affect these devices OU.

3.Edit  Wireless Network policy in Windows settings.

4.Add your SSID and security settings settings to this policy.

5.Give it time to replicate throughout your network.

6.Restart your clients and test it.

Friday, January 13, 2012 1:57 PM