Stop error 0x7b after windows updates 10/14-10/15/2014 RRS feed

• Question

• Last evening we received the new windows updates.. This morning we found that we had several of our older (desktop only) Dell model pc's  (Example: Dell 755)  were showing the Windows Error Recovery screen.. Most of our users ran the startup repair and this had 2 results.. One the scan found nothing and upon the next boot went right back to the Recover Screen or two if they attempt to start Windows normal are receiving a 0x0000007b (0x80786b58, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) 

I have done some research on the web and have found several solutions: 

The possibility of the update changing the SATA controller of RAID controller settings: This is not the case for us

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM.....\msahci-iastor-iastorV\Start settings: They are all currently set to 0 as stated

I have been trying to locate a way to remove the updates via Hirens 15.2 but can not run the location .exe for the updates to remove and we currently have no backup points set. I have run the Chkdisk and repair from both local and also the Software CD and this found nothing wrong.. 

All of these machines are / were running Windows 7 Enterprise amd64 

We have 170 of these machines in production and are rushing for a solution or temp fix while attempting to find newer replacements without the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance 

• Edited by Tim McVay Wednesday, October 15, 2014 8:37 PM
    Wednesday, October 15, 2014 8:29 PM

All replies

• Thursday, October 16, 2014 3:50 AM
  • Hi,

Windows directly boot into Recovery Mode should be also caused by Windows boot file (maybe bcd file problem), under this condition, it won't about to boot into system.

According to the MSDN Library about 0x7B:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff559218(v=vs.85).aspx

The INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE bug check has a value of 0x0000007B. This bug check indicates that the Microsoft Windows operating system has lost access to the system partition during startup.

Cause:

The INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE bug check frequently occurs because of a boot device failure. During I/O system initialization, the boot device driver might have failed to initialize the boot device (typically a hard disk). File system initialization might have failed because it did not recognize the data on the boot device. Also, repartitioning the system partition or installing a new SCSI adapter or disk controller might induce this error.
    This error can also occur because of incompatible disk hardware. If the error occurred at the initial setup of the system, the system might have been installed on an unsupported disk or SCSI controller. Some controllers are supported only by drivers that are in the Windows Driver Library (WDL). (These drivers require the user to do a custom installation.)

The library also contains some effective solution with this problem, please follow its introduction to make troubleshooting for test.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, October 16, 2014 6:03 AM
  • Last evening we received the new windows updates.. This morning we found that we had several of our older (desktop only) Dell model pc's  (Example: Dell 755)  were showing the Windows Error Recovery screen.. Most of our users ran the startup repair and this had 2 results.. One the scan found nothing and upon the next boot went right back to the Recover Screen or two if they attempt to start Windows normal are receiving a 0x0000007b (0x80786b58, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) 

I have done some research on the web and have found several solutions: 

The possibility of the update changing the SATA controller of RAID controller settings: This is not the case for us

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM.....\msahci-iastor-iastorV\Start settings: They are all currently set to 0 as stated

I have been trying to locate a way to remove the updates via Hirens 15.2 but can not run the location .exe for the updates to remove and we currently have no backup points set. I have run the Chkdisk and repair from both local and also the Software CD and this found nothing wrong.. 

All of these machines are / were running Windows 7 Enterprise amd64 

We have 170 of these machines in production and are rushing for a solution or temp fix while attempting to find newer replacements without the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance 

We are also having this issue on our HP8300 machines it only happens after updates were pushed out when we reimage them they are fine. I am still trying to narrow down the updates that could have caused this but I know it is Octobers updates. maybe we can compare?
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 3:13 PM