none
Folder Permissions in Sharepoint - Access to subfolders only but also directory tree

Question

• Hi all

My apologies if this has been asked before (and a link would be nice).

I have some friends who are trying to share selected folders with a contractor, but nothing else. While this in itself is easy, they'd also like to be for him to see the directory tree above it (but nothing else). They are, of course, trying to do this without restructuring their current directory tree (which is why I'm asking this here).

The structure is

Clients - Client 1 - Accounts

- Contact

- Booking

- Client 2 - Accounts

- Contact

- Booking

- Client 3 - Account

- Contact

- Booking

They are looking to share Client 1 Contact and Booking as well as Client 2 Contact and Booking. They shouldn't see the Accounts directories nor Client 3 directories. ALSO they need to see the directory structure from Clients (so if they are in the Clients directory they see Client 1 and Client 2 directories).

Yes, it's horrible. But is it possible?

Cheers

Darrell

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 7:54 AM

All replies

• Hi Darrell,

You could set unique permissions for these folders/subfolders.

Firstly, break permission inheritance on the folder/subfolder. Select a folder/subfolder, and click “Share With” > “Advanced”, click on “stop Inheriting Permissions”. Then select users and groups except the user/group that you want to share, then click “Remove User Permissions” under the Permissions ribbon.

Note: The site collection administrator and site administrator have the top level permissions for the site, so they always can see the folders in the library.

Best Regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, December 22, 2016 5:52 AM