none
Is it possible to create a server image (.wim) via MDT then convert it to bootable iso? RRS feed

• Question

• guys, not sure if this is possible :) but what I'm trying to achieve is capture a server image wherein all the apps needed, hardened the server, etc., that is created in hyper-v then save as vhdx. Then I'll convert it to image (.wim) and then covert to .iso so that I can boot a physical server using it.

TIA!

Friday, March 1, 2019 5:38 AM

Answers

• Yes definitely, the process is a bit simpler than what you described as there is no needs to create a vhdx.

(Very) High level steps will be like:

• Create a "Build and Capture" task sequence, with all your settings and apps.
    • Deploy this task sequence(TS) on a VM, when all is done, the TS will capture the VM into a WIM file.
    • You will be able to create an ISO (or a WDS boot) by importing the captured WIM into an new "Standard Client Task Sequence"

Hint: It may takes some times before reaching the final point, but you are warmly welcome to this place if you need help.

• Marked as answer by ryan.tha.mann Wednesday, March 6, 2019 5:31 AM
    Friday, March 1, 2019 2:58 PM

All replies

• Yes definitely, the process is a bit simpler than what you described as there is no needs to create a vhdx.

(Very) High level steps will be like:

• Create a "Build and Capture" task sequence, with all your settings and apps.
    • Deploy this task sequence(TS) on a VM, when all is done, the TS will capture the VM into a WIM file.
    • You will be able to create an ISO (or a WDS boot) by importing the captured WIM into an new "Standard Client Task Sequence"

Hint: It may takes some times before reaching the final point, but you are warmly welcome to this place if you need help.

• Marked as answer by ryan.tha.mann Wednesday, March 6, 2019 5:31 AM
    Friday, March 1, 2019 2:58 PM
  • Once you have a task sequence built you do not need to deploy the task sequence on a VM you can simply use the Media option under Advanced Settings to create an ISO.
    Saturday, March 2, 2019 8:18 PM
  • thanks for this, it pointed me to the right direction.
    Wednesday, March 6, 2019 5:31 AM
  • thanks!
    Wednesday, March 6, 2019 5:32 AM