none
error 'an unexpected error occured (0x80004002)' RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed Steady State on a large group of laptops used in our service fleet running XP Home and until now have had no errors. The most recent installation on an IBM Thinkpad running XP Pro produces the following error everytime any user logs into the machine: an unexpected error occured (0x80004002). Any suggestions as to how I might get this error to stop appearing? Is it a conflict with the Group Policy Editor? Any and All Help Is Appreciated!
    Thursday, September 13, 2007 9:04 PM

All replies

• Ok here is a few ideas

I suspect that you have a misbehaving app other that WSS So to start run msconfig and disable all startup items

then see if you get the same error after rebooting (remmeber to set disk protect to off or retain changes)

If all runs fine then run each startup item one at a time until you see the bad app and then you can disable it

if you still get the error with everything disabled then remove WSS and run a full disk check (chkdsk /r) and reinstall it

(make sure you disable any virus protection) you may end up doing a complete reinstall of the system (wipe HD)

as it is possible that there is corrupted windows files and it would be a whole lot less work to rinstall that try to fix

I have seen HP's Photosmart software cause issues with anything installed after it was.

Hope this helps

Thursday, September 13, 2007 11:16 PM
  •  

Can someone help What is this Due to.What is error 0x80004002 and why do it keep Showing up.
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 4:48 PM