windows explorer has stopped working RRS feed

• Question

• I have a dell studio 64 bit running on windows vista.  I first had the problem when I tried to print a photo to my epson printer:   "windows explorer has stopped working ... a problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." (Click to close program).  I can print fine to my HP printer.  when I go to control panel, printers, i get the same message.  I was able to download the two new windows updates just two days ago, so windows is working in other areas.  I downloaded a new driver for the epson and now I can print to it, but I still get the same message when I go printers in the control panel.  Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?  I have run malwarebytes and cc cleaner & my Kaspersky is up to date.
    Sunday, August 28, 2011 5:19 AM

All replies

• I'm adding to my original question --- I've just noticed that other items in the Control Panel cause the same message to be displayed:  Admin Tools, Autoplay, Default Programs, Fonts, Network & Sharing, System, and User Accounts.  I would really appreciate help with this --- I really don't want to have to uninstall/install Windows.  Anybody????  Thanks!
    Marith Hicks
    Sunday, August 28, 2011 3:46 PM
  • Replying again to my own question --- I've had 47 hits but no one has come up with a solution --- this must be the PROBLEM of the DECADE!  I have perused the multitude of previous "Windows has stopped working" queries, and the answers are both incomprehensible and varied.  Many respondents have addressed Windows INTERNET has stopped working instead of the question asked --- "Windows EXPLORER has stopped working."  I am mystified --- anyone out there with a good idea about how to solve this apparently widespread problem?  Thank you --- MIRACLE WORKER --- in advance!
    Marith Hicks
    Monday, August 29, 2011 12:46 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the late response.

Certain process is conflict with Windows explorer.

Please press Ctrl-alt-delete and bring up the Task Manager, click on the tab Processes and end the process 'System Idle Process', this will stop the looping effect. Then go to file, select New task (run), type explorer in the box and hit ok. This will manually restart Windows Explorer.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 7:01 AM