MDM Software Distribution Issues. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm having a bit of trouble with MDM and software distribution. I have everything working, MDM, enrollment, ADM templates, policies, exchange and VPN connections to the gateway but the one thing I cannot get working is WSUS.

I have searched high and low onthe Internet and these forums but I appear to have an issue which nobody else has mentioned. Its due to the device not being able to find the WSUS server.

I have WSUS set up on my DM server as required and I have the firewall rules set up as required. However, my PDA device (HTC P6500) can never reach the DM server for software distribution and in the Mobile Device Manager Software Distribution console it says:

"This device has not reported status yet" next to all 10 test devices.

I know the devices are talking to the relevant servers and I know it is talking with the DM server for policies and inventory as I can see this logged in the System Center Mobile Device Management Console and I can see the policies applying on the devices. (Bluetooth off etc)

I decided to see where the device is trying to go for software updates so I turned on DNS logging on our DNS servers and the mobile device is apparently trying to go to the following:

20090312 17:11:31 4F0 PACKET  UDP Snd 193.0.14.129    0f58   Q [0000       NOERROR] (0)
    20090312 17:11:31 4F0 PACKET  UDP Snd 198.41.0.4      2764   Q [0000       NOERROR] (6)update(19)windowsmobileupdate(3)com(0)
    20090312 17:11:34 44C PACKET  UDP Snd 198.41.0.4      0f58   Q [0000       NOERROR] (0)
    20090312 17:11:34 44C PACKET  UDP Snd 202.12.27.33    2764   Q [0000       NOERROR] (6)update(19)windowsmobileupdate(3)com(0)
    20090312 17:11:34 4F0 PACKET  UDP Rcv 172.16.120.24   003a   Q [0001   D   NOERROR] (6)update(19)windowsmobileupdate(3)com(0)
    20090312 17:11:38 44C PACKET  UDP Snd 198.32.64.12    0f58   Q [0000       NOERROR] (0)
    20090312 17:11:38 44C PACKET  UDP Snd 202.12.27.33    0f58   Q [0000       NOERROR] (0)

As you can see the device is trying to go to "update.windowsmobileupdate.com".

I have repeated this process and confirmed all devices are doing this. My question is, can anyone advise how I get the devices to look at our correct software distribution server?

I have looked in AD at the AD SPC for SCMDM and I can see all the values are correct and the value next to 'wsusdatabase' is indeed the correct server. How does the device know where to go for software updates as I can see nowhere in the mobile device manager AD GPO policies to set the server value.

Thanks in advance for your assistance with this.

Neil.

Friday, March 13, 2009 3:53 PM

Answers

• Neil,

This sounds very familiar. Have you tried to deploy any software to the devices ? I know the Event Log is reporting “This device has not reported status yet” but the devices are present in the console! This means they have successfully connected to the Software Distribution Console. It’s a confusing situation to be in. Another user on this forum is reporting a similar issue. In his case, the devices were deploying software but subsequent sync would not update the Last Status Report date. This would generate “This device has not reported in for x days” errors. Last Status Report ( SW Deployment )

Try creating and deploying a Standard Windows Mobile CAB file to your devices. Deploy the SCMDM Client Tools (Connect Now, Device Status &VPN Diagnostics).
    Make sure the package is approved, the devices are set to receive the package, then run mobile policy update, and initiate a Connect Now sync.
    Hopefully the software will deploy correctly and update the Last Status Report date and time.

Cheers Wayne
    Airloom

Sunday, March 15, 2009 11:27 PM

All replies

• Neil,

This sounds very familiar. Have you tried to deploy any software to the devices ? I know the Event Log is reporting “This device has not reported status yet” but the devices are present in the console! This means they have successfully connected to the Software Distribution Console. It’s a confusing situation to be in. Another user on this forum is reporting a similar issue. In his case, the devices were deploying software but subsequent sync would not update the Last Status Report date. This would generate “This device has not reported in for x days” errors. Last Status Report ( SW Deployment )

Try creating and deploying a Standard Windows Mobile CAB file to your devices. Deploy the SCMDM Client Tools (Connect Now, Device Status &VPN Diagnostics).
    Make sure the package is approved, the devices are set to receive the package, then run mobile policy update, and initiate a Connect Now sync.
    Hopefully the software will deploy correctly and update the Last Status Report date and time.

Cheers Wayne
    Airloom

Sunday, March 15, 2009 11:27 PM
  • Hi Neil, Any luck with the pointers that Wayne already supplied?
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 4:46 AM
    Answerer