none
Labor tracking/scheduling question RRS feed

• Question

• We are a contractor looking to implement MS Project 2016 as a project management/labor management tool. Right now we have approximately 40 employees in the department that we need to schedule. We range from very small 1 day job to multi million dollar projects that take months to complete.

My question is, should Project be set up with a master resource pool and all projects share the resource pool? Or should there be a master project with each job as a sub project? The goal is to be able to schedule our resources (labor) throughout all the ongoing projects and keep track of our labor cost on each project.

I also had a question regarding overtime...we work weekends, nights, Holidays so the standard 8 hour calendar does not exactly work for us. How is overtime calculated in Project? For example we have a crew of 4 working on a project and they were there 12 hours (8 standard 4 OT) I cannot figure out how to show that in the schedule.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Mel

Thursday, September 8, 2016 11:50 AM

Answers

• Hi,

For your example, you should create a generic resource (technician) in the resource sheet.

Then go back to the gantt chart, split your screen to have the task form in the lower part with the work information. Create 2 tasks, respectively 3 and 2 days. With no resource assigned, you'll have no work at this stage. Then in the task form, add the technician at 300% for job 1 and validate. Do the same at 200% for the job 2. You'll get your 104hours of work.

Another way is to create only one task, to use the task usage view and to manually spread the work by day, meaning 24hrs for the 3 first days, then 16hrs for the two remaining days.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 7:37 AM

All replies

• Hi Mel,

Assuming you don't want to go for Project Online (which would give you extended project, portfolio and capacity management features), I'd suggest to use a shared resource pool. Then all the project can pick up resources from this shared pool allowing you consolidating the capacity.

Then MS Project will allowing you manaing overtime in the project plans, as well as night/weekend/holidays work with the project calendars.

Hope this helps,

Friday, September 9, 2016 7:21 AM
  • Hello Guillaume,

Thank you for the input. We are currently trying to implement Project Professional first before moving to Project Online or Enterprise.

Now,  I have created a master resource sheet, the only issue I am encountering is that if I need to move the resources around I have to open all the projects that are linked to the master resource sheet. We have anywhere from 10-30 jobs going on at once so this may become an issue as we grow. I am fairly new to Project so you can imagine this is a hefty task to take on by myself with just an online course and self learning.

Melvin

Monday, September 12, 2016 11:31 AM
  • Hi Melvin,

What do you mean by moving the resource? Are you refering to updating an assignment in of of your projects?

If you use a shared resource pool, when you edit one of your N projects, it does not open the resource pool in read/write mode, so you can be more than 1 user editing your project and assignments.

See the procedure below:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-resources-using-a-resource-pool-3c708e6a-0173-4e27-978f-76e88e58f38b?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US&fromAR=1

Hope this helps,

Monday, September 12, 2016 12:22 PM
  • Yes, in case I need to move employees around from one project to another. The link you provided answered that question.

I have been working on this all morning and I understand how it works now. Its just time consuming and tedious. Our jobs are usually planned out with a set number of hours. Example - (3) Techs 3 days, (2) techs, 2 days for a total of 104 hours.

What would be the best way to reflect the above example in a task? If I add all three resources it will just divide the hours between the 3 technicians which is not what I need. Would I have to build 2 separate tasks?

Thank you so much for your help.

Monday, September 12, 2016 3:48 PM
  • Hi,

For your example, you should create a generic resource (technician) in the resource sheet.

Then go back to the gantt chart, split your screen to have the task form in the lower part with the work information. Create 2 tasks, respectively 3 and 2 days. With no resource assigned, you'll have no work at this stage. Then in the task form, add the technician at 300% for job 1 and validate. Do the same at 200% for the job 2. You'll get your 104hours of work.

Another way is to create only one task, to use the task usage view and to manually spread the work by day, meaning 24hrs for the 3 first days, then 16hrs for the two remaining days.

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 7:37 AM
  • Awesome! Thank you for all your help Guillaume.
    Tuesday, September 13, 2016 1:09 PM