none
DR of DPM2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

1) Can you do a baremetal backup of dpm 2010 with windows backup. I know using second dpm server is recommended but want to know if I can use windows backup.

2) Can I use disk2vhd tool to make a virtual image of my dpm 2010 server and in case of a disaster startup a virtual image of my dpm server.

In both these cases I do not mind creating new storage pool disk and resynching all the data.

Thanks,

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 6:54 AM

Answers

• Windows Server Backup is the tool used by DPM to perform BMR backup.
    That means that you can use WSB to perform backup of your primary server.

Case2 i have no idea if that would work.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 3:39 PM
  • In regards to question #2. You can use disk2VHD to create a virtual copy of your DPM. You should be able to spin this up on a Hyper-V server after that.

The disk2VHD tool works very well I have used it many times. I would however do a test of virtualizing your DPM and make sure it boots up. This will save you time from having to reload the OS and DPM in the even that it fails. Note that you will need to bring in new disks into your storage pool. So basically you need to ensure you are doing DPM backups on top of this.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 4:27 PM

All replies

• Windows Server Backup is the tool used by DPM to perform BMR backup.
    That means that you can use WSB to perform backup of your primary server.

Case2 i have no idea if that would work.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 3:39 PM
  • In regards to question #2. You can use disk2VHD to create a virtual copy of your DPM. You should be able to spin this up on a Hyper-V server after that.

The disk2VHD tool works very well I have used it many times. I would however do a test of virtualizing your DPM and make sure it boots up. This will save you time from having to reload the OS and DPM in the even that it fails. Note that you will need to bring in new disks into your storage pool. So basically you need to ensure you are doing DPM backups on top of this.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 4:27 PM
  • Thanks B,

Not sure what you are saying here "So basically you need to ensure you are doing DPM backups on top of this." Are you saying on top of the new drives?

I guess the new disks will need to be iscsi or pass through and I will need to do fix to continue hyperv backups. Also guessing the DPMSYNC -reallocatereplica command will be in order.

Will create disk2vhd image tonight as backup.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 4:37 PM
  • Thanks J!
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 4:38 PM
  • Thanks B,

Not sure what you are saying here "So basically you need to ensure you are doing DPM backups on top of this." Are you saying on top of the new drives?

I guess the new disks will need to be iscsi or pass through and I will need to do fix to continue hyperv backups. Also guessing the DPMSYNC -reallocatereplica command will be in order.

Will create disk2vhd image tonight as backup.

I meant use DPMBackup.exe to backup your DPM DB and then as you mentioned already use DpmSync to re-sync on recovered virtual DPM. More on all of this here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399388.aspx

Yes you have to use pass through disks or iSCSI with DPM when it is virtual.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 5:26 PM