server manager craches RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

when ever i try to open Server manager, it craches with an error " mmc has detected an error in snap in. It is recommended to shutdown or restart mmc".

I tried all the other ways of opening it like using mmc,administrator tools etc.. everywhere i get the same error.

But, command line to install any roles and features are working. I am using windows server 2008.

Why is the server manager crashing? Can anyone help regarding this issue.

Friday, April 1, 2011 11:08 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Please restart the computer, keep pressing F8, and select Safe Mode. Can you open Server Manager in Safe Mode?

If so, I suggest trying Clean Boot before backing up.

Clean Boot

========

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please test this result in the Clean Boot environment.

If the issue persists, please upload the %windir%\logs\servermanager.log file to https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=816181d2-3326-4339-af6a-c39a0f8dc0ac for further research.

Password: i3mFUkyK7K

Tim Quan

• Marked as answer by Tim Quan Thursday, April 7, 2011 3:32 AM
    Monday, April 4, 2011 6:56 AM

All replies

• This tool may help.

What is the System Update Readiness Tool?
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-is-the-System-Update-Readiness-Tool

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Saturday, April 2, 2011 3:01 AM
  • Hi,

Please restart the computer, keep pressing F8, and select Safe Mode. Can you open Server Manager in Safe Mode?

If so, I suggest trying Clean Boot before backing up.

Clean Boot

========

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please test this result in the Clean Boot environment.

If the issue persists, please upload the %windir%\logs\servermanager.log file to https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=816181d2-3326-4339-af6a-c39a0f8dc0ac for further research.

Password: i3mFUkyK7K

Tim Quan

• Marked as answer by Tim Quan Thursday, April 7, 2011 3:32 AM
    Monday, April 4, 2011 6:56 AM