Wireless Networks not available under Manage Default Printers. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a client who has 4 offices he travels between. He needs the default printer to change based on the name of the wireless network he connects to. This feature worked for a while, but after some unknown point stopped accepting new networks into the list under "manage default printer". We changed the SSID of two locations a month ago, and I can not get them to show up in the list under "manage default printer". I went through and removed every listing under the "manage default printer" list, hoping to start fresh, but after a week, in the dropdown menu, only the old networks are there. 

Bottom line is I need to find out why these new SSID are not showing as an option to select inside of "manage default printers". Or find a way to manually add them. I (believe) have found where they appear to be in the registry, but the values for network name seem to be encrypted. Is there a file I can edit somewhere to manually add in these entries?

The target networks are remembered and can be managed by windows, and connect automatically. 

This is a Windows 7 Pro laptop. 

Thanks!

-Ozzy

• Edited by Fozwald Monday, September 16, 2013 5:47 PM typo
    Monday, September 16, 2013 5:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my research,it may be caused that you have not deleted network locations completely.

Please follow the steps to check the result.
    1.open the Network and Sharing Center console in Control Panel.
    2.Click on the "Icon" under "View your active networks". This will open the "Set Network Properties" dialogue. Here you can rename a network connection or change the icon for that network connection.
    3.Click on "Merge or Delete Network Locations" to see a list of stored network connections. You can delete the old SSID.

Regards,

Kelvin_Hsu

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by kelvin_hsu Tuesday, September 24, 2013 2:10 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Fozwald Monday, September 30, 2013 3:51 PM
    Thursday, September 19, 2013 11:18 AM
  • I can see how that might fix the situation in some cases, but I couldn't accept that as my answer because unfortunately, it did not work. I removed every related SSID via those menus and after the week of him visiting each location and adding the networks again, they still are not showing up in the "manage default printers" section. 

I'm not having any luck finding other people in this same situation, so I have a feeling this is a very unique issue. That's why I feel if I could find a way to manually edit or configure the system files associated (easier said than done I'm sure), that would be a solution. I think the problem will require a sort of work around like that. 

Thank you so much for your suggestion, it was very reasonable!

Monday, September 30, 2013 3:56 PM
  • The following third party program allows storing and fast switching between network profiles - including the default printer.

http://www.netsetman.com/

Unfortunately it is not free for commercial use.
    Monday, September 30, 2013 9:25 PM
  • Did you ever figure this out? I just ran into this problem that my main network isn't showing up, even though I've cleaned the list on my wireless network list and I see networks on the drop down that I've not used for months.
    Thursday, April 9, 2015 7:37 PM