XP support questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I heard somewhere that Microsoft is going to stop (or has already stopped) service for Windows XP. What does that mean? Microsoft seems to have ceased selling XP since a few years ago, do does this "discontinuation" basically means that support will no longer be provided for XP users? Does the scope of this discontinued support include forum support?

In http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/categories, I see only one forum for XP, namely this SP3 forum, still exist, whereas Vista and Windows 7 all have at least a dozen forums. Is this the result of the discontinuation?

Thanks,

Bob

Thursday, January 20, 2011 11:31 AM

Answers

• In short stopping mainstream support means Microsoft stops delivering all free support they delivered before: they do no longer supply patches other than urgent security patches, they no longer offer free phone or web assistance, nor warranty.
    That also means XP will no longer be offically kept up-to-date with upcoming functionality. Also if you need support, you will be charged. Note that until ~2014 payed support will be available.

Regarding the forums and Microsoft kb: these will be kept online. The amount of forums indeed decreased (to one) since the mainstream support dat was due.  i suppose that also the amount of Microsoft employees answering also decreases, but don't be afraid: a lot of questions ae answered swiftly by volunteers :)

Product support lifecycle information  Lifecycle Support Policy FAQ

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP
    • Marked as answer by Bob Sun Thursday, January 20, 2011 12:39 PM
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 12:13 PM
  • Bob,

Microsoft still supports Windows XP With Service Pack 3 in Extended Support mode until 8 april 2014.
    Extended Support mode means the following ...

Support provided

Mainstream Support phase

Extended Support phase

Paid support (per-incident, per hour, and others)

X

X

Security update support

X

X

Non-security hotfix support

X

Requires extended hotfix agreement, purchased within 90 days of mainstream support ending.

No-charge incident support

X

Warranty claims

X

Design changes and feature requests

X

Product-specific information that is available by using the online Microsoft Knowledge Base

X

X

Product-specific information that is available by using the Support site at Microsoft Help and Support to find answers to technical questions

X

X

More info is aviable here :
    LifeCycle Policy : http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifepolicy
    Support dates for windows xp sp3 http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-us&p1=3223&x=14&y=7

If you have a Windows XP with a service pack level lower then Service Pack 3.
    You are not supported anymore.

Kind Regards
    DFT 

IM me - TWiTTer: @DFTER
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 12:19 PM

All replies

• In short stopping mainstream support means Microsoft stops delivering all free support they delivered before: they do no longer supply patches other than urgent security patches, they no longer offer free phone or web assistance, nor warranty.
    That also means XP will no longer be offically kept up-to-date with upcoming functionality. Also if you need support, you will be charged. Note that until ~2014 payed support will be available.

Regarding the forums and Microsoft kb: these will be kept online. The amount of forums indeed decreased (to one) since the mainstream support dat was due.  i suppose that also the amount of Microsoft employees answering also decreases, but don't be afraid: a lot of questions ae answered swiftly by volunteers :)

Product support lifecycle information  Lifecycle Support Policy FAQ

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 12:13 PM
  • Bob,

Microsoft still supports Windows XP With Service Pack 3 in Extended Support mode until 8 april 2014.
    Extended Support mode means the following ...

Support provided

Mainstream Support phase

Extended Support phase

Paid support (per-incident, per hour, and others)

X

X

Security update support

X

X

Non-security hotfix support

X

Requires extended hotfix agreement, purchased within 90 days of mainstream support ending.

No-charge incident support

X

Warranty claims

X

Design changes and feature requests

X

Product-specific information that is available by using the online Microsoft Knowledge Base

X

X

Product-specific information that is available by using the Support site at Microsoft Help and Support to find answers to technical questions

X

X

More info is aviable here :
    LifeCycle Policy : http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifepolicy
    Support dates for windows xp sp3 http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-us&p1=3223&x=14&y=7

If you have a Windows XP with a service pack level lower then Service Pack 3.
    You are not supported anymore.

Kind Regards
    DFT 

IM me - TWiTTer: @DFTER
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 12:19 PM
  • Dear SenneVL and daft,

I got it. Thanks very much.

Bob

Thursday, January 20, 2011 12:40 PM