Vista Boot Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    Sorry if this has been discussed already.

I left vista installing on the final step, completing upgrade or something, 50% done. I come back and it was on the loading screen (the horizontal scrolling bar, with "© Microsoft" text and normally the windows logo - no windows logo in this case). I have tried restarting several times but it still gets stuck on the loading screen and goes no further. I tried booting up in safemode but it stops after "\windows\system32\drivers\agp440.sys".

Oh, and when I try the repair tool on the CD it doesn't get further than "searching for problems", I left it for at least 30mins.

I installed it on a Dell Precision M60 laptop if that makes a difference.

Any ideas whats wrong?

Thanks

Tuesday, December 5, 2006 5:21 PM

All replies

• UPDATE: I left it "searching for problems" for a good 6hours and it didn't do anything, it was still searching.
    Wednesday, December 6, 2006 12:23 AM
  • That's due to graphic card, because you've already able to start your computer normally and it turns to this while loading GUI, please try uninstalling your graphic card and install it again and give it a try.

Good luck

Thursday, December 7, 2006 9:53 AM
  • you mean restore it to XP then uninstall and reinstall my graphics card?
    Thursday, December 7, 2006 2:59 PM
  • Well i tried reinstalling my graphics card drivers and tried again. It got to about 60% through "Completing Upgrade" then restarted and went back to being stuck on the loading screen.
    Thursday, December 7, 2006 5:27 PM
  • I meaned with "Uninstall Graphic Card" not the driver! I just meant to remove your video card from computer and install it again (make sure that you removed power cord before doing this!!!). Give it a try and let me in the know.

Good luck

Friday, December 8, 2006 12:28 PM
  • As its a laptop its kinda hard to get at the graphics card! Anyway, I read on MSDN (http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2004/12/10/279667.aspx)  that just because it stopped on agp440.sys doesn't mean thats the driver with the problem, its 99% of the time the next driver which didn't load and so didn't show any output.
    Friday, December 8, 2006 3:59 PM
  • I didn't know it's a lap top, but I had similar problem and I checked on it with solution I posted, just it.

Good luck

Friday, December 8, 2006 5:18 PM
  • thanks for trying to help anyway :)
    Saturday, December 9, 2006 12:40 AM
  • You're very welcome and feel free to post if you have any issue

Good luck

Saturday, December 9, 2006 8:45 PM
  •  

Hello,

Finally, the solution is here, read this KB article it will help you

Best Regards,

Sherif Talaat

Sunday, December 10, 2006 1:28 PM
  • so I disable the agp440 service from the XP restore CD then install Vista?
    ok I'll give it a try.
    Sunday, December 10, 2006 4:37 PM
  • ok i dont think its agp440 causing the problem, I disabled it from the recover console and now when I try from safe mode it stops on btkrnl.sys so I think it must be the thing that was about to load after it that causes the problem.
    Sunday, December 10, 2006 7:33 PM
  • anyone?
    Saturday, December 16, 2006 6:51 PM
  • *bump*
    Monday, December 25, 2006 2:40 AM
  • god... i have the same prob.

Can´t turn on the recovery, because the cd doesn´t start. i mean... it stops reading while opening that blue window to install windows...

so..what the hell! did you get any help??? could you pleaseeeee help me¿?
    Saturday, March 24, 2007 1:41 PM
  • Well I never figured it out but luckily managed to get it to restore to XP, cant remember how tho.
    Friday, March 30, 2007 11:42 AM