Group Policy to force Skype for Business auto startup RRS feed

Answers

• Hi Tommy0824,

Based on my research, I did not find the way to let users can’t exit the SFB client for now. As you know, when users click the X button in the top right corner of the SFB client, the client will minimize to the task bar and it will not exit. However, when users click exit option, it will exit. I did not find any way to prevent users to exit the SFB client for now. In another way, even if you disable the exit option, users also could exit the SFB client by close process in the Task Manager.

In addition, it is not recommended to prevent users from exiting SFB client. As you know, sometimes, if you change the policies and then assign to users’ account, users need to exit the SFB client and then sign-in again to apply this policy, if you prevent this option, users must restart their computer, it will make users have a bad experience. 

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by woshixiaobai Friday, October 19, 2018 3:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tommy0824 Sunday, October 28, 2018 9:58 PM
    Friday, October 19, 2018 3:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Auto startup of Skype for Business is defined here:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Lync

The DWORD key is 

AutoOpenMainWindowWhenStartup

Value 1

To Auto Sign in, the key is:

AutoSignInWhenUserSessionStarts

Value 1

Regards

Wednesday, October 17, 2018 7:37 AM
  • Hi

i created 2x seperate groups policies

do these seem right to you? i have applied them to my test machine in my test OU, ran gpupdate /force and also restarted. Skype for business not booting up upon login

i will do more testing

Thanks

Wednesday, October 17, 2018 8:52 PM
  • after some research, it seems that the group policy is not being applied to my test machine

i used gpresult /scope computer /v to check

what do i need to do to apply a User Configuration registry policy? Am i doing it wrong?

ignore this, i realized that i have to apply the GPO to an OU where the users are and not computer account

• Edited by Tommy0824 Wednesday, October 17, 2018 11:32 PM
    Wednesday, October 17, 2018 9:21 PM
  • Hi K_S_C

After much tinkering i managed to get skype for business to automatically popup when a user logs onto the machine. Thanks for that! If you dont mind, i'd just like some clarification

AutoOpenMainWindowWhenStartup - This is for opening the skype for business software

AutoSignInWhenUserSessionStarts - This is for automatically logging into skype for business once the software opens?

In one of my screenshots below you can see that i have created a registry entry for AutoSignInWhenUserSessionStarts. However when i log onto the test machine with my test account (has O365 license), once skype for business opens it does not automatically logs in. What can i do to ensure that once skype for business is open it will automatically login with the current Windows credentials?

Thanks again for your time and help

Wednesday, October 17, 2018 11:57 PM
  • Hi Tommy0824,

If you want the SFB online account automatically logs in the SFB client in PC, you need to configure ADFS on your on-premise environment and enable single sign on to office 365. You could refer to this blog to find more details about Step-By-Step: Setting up AD FS and Enabling Single Sign-On to Office 365.

In addition, you could refer to this similar case and find more details.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by woshixiaobai Friday, October 19, 2018 3:28 AM
    Thursday, October 18, 2018 2:12 AM
  • Thanks Evan,

I will have a go at the ADFS stuff

Another question regarding Skype for Business is, is there a way to make sure it is ON all the time? For example, with the GPO above, S4B launches when the user logs onto the laptop. However that does not stop them from closing / exiting S4B

Is there a way to prevent users from exiting S4B and always only have the software minimized to the task bar when they close it?

Regards

Thursday, October 18, 2018 9:07 PM
  • Hi Tommy0824,

Based on my research, I did not find the way to let users can’t exit the SFB client for now. As you know, when users click the X button in the top right corner of the SFB client, the client will minimize to the task bar and it will not exit. However, when users click exit option, it will exit. I did not find any way to prevent users to exit the SFB client for now. In another way, even if you disable the exit option, users also could exit the SFB client by close process in the Task Manager.

In addition, it is not recommended to prevent users from exiting SFB client. As you know, sometimes, if you change the policies and then assign to users’ account, users need to exit the SFB client and then sign-in again to apply this policy, if you prevent this option, users must restart their computer, it will make users have a bad experience. 

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

• Proposed as answer by woshixiaobai Friday, October 19, 2018 3:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tommy0824 Sunday, October 28, 2018 9:58 PM
    Friday, October 19, 2018 3:28 AM
  • Hi Tommy0824,

Is there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who have the similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Monday, October 22, 2018 7:46 AM
  • Hi Evan

Just a quick question and i know this is a long shot but if there a way for Windows to automatically turn S4B back on if the user exit of quit the software?

For example something in the background that runs and checks to make sure that S4B is on and if it isn't it will turn it on. Sounds like a task scheduler type of deal but will it work or is it possible?

Tuesday, October 23, 2018 12:19 AM
  • Hi Tommy0824,

I did not find any way/tools provided by Microsoft to automatically restart a crashed or closed application for now. However, you could refer to this blog to find the third party tool to do this.

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft can make no representation concerning the content of these sites. Microsoft is providing this information only as a convenience to you: this is to inform you that Microsoft has not tested any software or information found on these sites and therefore cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software on the Internet.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Wednesday, October 24, 2018 6:34 AM
  • Hi Tommy0824,

Is there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who have the similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Friday, October 26, 2018 8:53 AM
  • Hi Tommy

The third registry key is not visible in your screenshot. Is that the location of Lync.exe? Is it really required for autostartup to work?? Did you end up modifying the user configuration and link the policy with the target users OU???

Thanks,

Monday, July 15, 2019 11:33 PM
  • Hi Sam

To be honest, in the midst of testing this out, i was assigned other project works with higher priority

This would be one of those things i need to revisit in the future but its not a high priority

I didn't get to do much testing

Sorry

Monday, July 15, 2019 11:44 PM