none
Why can't I run Internet Explorer 11 64-bit RRS feed

• Question

• When I run "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

the taskbar icon reports Internet Explorer (32-bit),

"About Internet Explorer" indicates the 32-bit version is running as well, and

Task Manager reports one 64-bit process and, for each tab, a 32-bit process from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

In other words, even when I request the 64-bit IE, I get the 32-bit version instead.

I'd like to know how can I run the 64-bit version and/or why Windows ignores my request?

IE: (Version) 11.0.9600.16428, (Update Versions: RTM) KB2841134

Office 2010 32-bit: (Version) 14.0.7106.5003

Hardware: i7 CPU, 60% Free/8G Ram, 80G Free/512G HD

Thanks!

• Edited by claytyler Sunday, December 1, 2013 3:34 PM Title Edit
    Sunday, December 1, 2013 3:32 PM

Answers

• I'd like to know how can I run the 64-bit version and/or why Windows ignores my request?

Do you have any add-ons?  Are you running with Enhanced Protection Mode off?

See this?  Looks like it should be updated for IE11, at least in the comments:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/archive/2012/03/23/understanding-ie10-enhanced-protected-mode-network-security-addons-cookies-metro-desktop.aspx?PageIndex=4#comments

(Microsoft search for
        "enhanced protection mode" "add-ons" site:blogs.msdn.com
    )

FWIW I am running with EPM on but probably have some add-ons enabled and this shows what you are claiming:

wmic.exe  Process  where  (Name='iexplore.exe')  get  CommandLine, ProcessId

Manage add-ons  (Alt-x M)  shows  Shockwave Flash 32 and 64 as enabled.  Perhaps disabling that or setting Safety ActiveX Filtering on (Alt-x S X) would change that?.  I also have quite a few pure 32-bit add-ons that are enabled but supposedly are not currently in use.   TBD.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, December 1, 2013 4:52 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• I'd like to know how can I run the 64-bit version and/or why Windows ignores my request?

Do you have any add-ons?  Are you running with Enhanced Protection Mode off?

See this?  Looks like it should be updated for IE11, at least in the comments:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/archive/2012/03/23/understanding-ie10-enhanced-protected-mode-network-security-addons-cookies-metro-desktop.aspx?PageIndex=4#comments

(Microsoft search for
        "enhanced protection mode" "add-ons" site:blogs.msdn.com
    )

FWIW I am running with EPM on but probably have some add-ons enabled and this shows what you are claiming:

wmic.exe  Process  where  (Name='iexplore.exe')  get  CommandLine, ProcessId

Manage add-ons  (Alt-x M)  shows  Shockwave Flash 32 and 64 as enabled.  Perhaps disabling that or setting Safety ActiveX Filtering on (Alt-x S X) would change that?.  I also have quite a few pure 32-bit add-ons that are enabled but supposedly are not currently in use.   TBD.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, December 1, 2013 4:52 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

IE11-Windows6.1-x64-en-us is for windows 7.

If your computer has a x64 processor the x64 version of IE11 is installed.

There is only one version of IE11 installed. Tabs and Windows will open in either x86 or x64 modes, depending upon ActiveX content of web pages.

Thanks!

Andy Altmann
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 7:26 AM
  • I just opened an instance.

My default page is google.com.

After that came up, I loaded about:blank.

Both those pages are pretty lean.

Checking the Task Manager I got the same ole iexplore.exe and ieexplore.exe *32.

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 12:18 AM
  • Robert,

Manage add-ons listed one add-on as 32-bit only: Real Networks Downloader.

I disabled it then shut IE down.

After bringing IE back up I enabled EPM.

After shutting down and recalling IE again:

1) IE listed the Status of Real Networks Downloader as Incompatible.

2) Task Manager quit posting the dreaded IE *32 process.

Problem solved!

Thanks so much!

Clay

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 12:38 AM