none
DPM creating recovery point of itself RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

Our DPM server was configured so it takes recovery points of itself - is this a valid method of protecting it?

- Liam

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 8:18 PM

Answers

• From your response it looks like a virtual environment. In this case DPM can protect other VMs on the same server. However you will also need Tape or Secondary protection to protect against the host server itself going down.

Thanks, Kapil Malhotra [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, May 16, 2011 4:31 AM

All replies

• Please explain what do you mean "recovery points of itself", and what you want to a achieve ?

If you mean, "protecting other local volumes on same machine", then its supported.
    However if DPM machine has a problem, like not able to come up, total hard disk crash etc or other disasters,
    Then this protection wouldn't be so useful.

Protecting DPMDB or Replica volumes to disk on same machine is not possible.

Thanks,
    Arun

Thursday, March 31, 2011 8:50 AM
  • Sorry, I should have been a bit more clear. What I mean is a single DPM server with a single drive (with local storage mount points for the replica data) being backed up by a bare-metal backup. The DB is on a different server.
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 4:51 PM
  • Hi liso,

A DPM server cannot protect itself for BMR. What do you mean "being backed up by a bare-metal backup"?

My DPM blog ystartsev.wordpress.com
    Friday, April 1, 2011 7:33 AM
  • As in a backup with the DPM agent, not using child partition for a VM.
    Friday, April 1, 2011 3:35 PM
  • From your response it looks like a virtual environment. In this case DPM can protect other VMs on the same server. However you will also need Tape or Secondary protection to protect against the host server itself going down.

Thanks, Kapil Malhotra [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, May 16, 2011 4:31 AM