none
Build a Master project from the Project Center (PWA 2010) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I was told that it's possible to select several projects in Project Center to create a Master project, but I never succeeded. How can I do that?

Thanks

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 12:11 PM

Answers

• Ahhhhhhhhhhhh ... Am I correct that you tried what I described and it didn't work? I can remember, that you are also located in Europe, aren't you? That is the reason!!!!! (was quite a quick test).

After changing Regional Settings on my Server to German, it does not work there any longer. I think the reason is the list separator: "," is used by Project Web App, but client seems to expect ";" in my case. So I am asked for a file name.

Not sure if I interpreted your question correctly?
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by WLID1966 Wednesday, March 16, 2011 1:21 PM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 12:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

not sure, why you was told this? Editing and creation of master projects is not possible:
    Edit Master Projects Edit master projects. (Note: In PWA, master projects are Read-Only.)
    That is called "limited" functionality at http://www.microsoft.com/project/en/us/web-based-project-management-comparison.aspx

Regards
    Barbara

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 12:21 PM
  • Hi,

to create a master project using the projects you already have in project center.

Open and save the local copy of those project, and follow the steps i have explained in this post to create a master project and publish to the server

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectserver2010general/thread/70d74b54-440c-40cd-b6ca-4e001dc6e595

Hope this helps.

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 12:25 PM
  • Hi,

sorry, I think I misunderstood your question initially. You don't want to do within Project Center, but from?

Just select some projects and click on Open for editing in Project Professional. All selected projects will be inserted into one new blank project as sub-projects. By the way: it does work for me on the server, but not with my local installation. There to open dialog pops up. I will investigate the reason.

Regards
    Barbara

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 12:35 PM
  • Ahhhhhhhhhhhh ... Am I correct that you tried what I described and it didn't work? I can remember, that you are also located in Europe, aren't you? That is the reason!!!!! (was quite a quick test).

After changing Regional Settings on my Server to German, it does not work there any longer. I think the reason is the list separator: "," is used by Project Web App, but client seems to expect ";" in my case. So I am asked for a file name.

Not sure if I interpreted your question correctly?
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by WLID1966 Wednesday, March 16, 2011 1:21 PM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 12:45 PM
  • Great !

I'm located in France! So I changed the list separator from the ";" to the "," and now that works when I open several projects from the Project Center 2010.

A little bit tricky!

Thanks a lot !!!

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 1:18 PM
  • Hopefully some MS guy will read this ;-).
    Changing list separator has some annoying side effects, so I don't want to go for that for long term.

Regards
    Barbara

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 1:22 PM
  • Hi Khurram,

Do you mean you keep the future sub-projects out from the Project Server database? And then you save them again in the database?

Thanks

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 5:56 PM
  • Sorry for falling in ... Please don't do that. Saving locally and back to server is no good practise and should only be done if absolutely necessary (e.g. in case of data corruption).

What Khurram describes in the other post is absolutely correct and necessary, if you want Project Sites of sub projects to be sub sites of Master Project's site. It is the way to avoid any error messages in queue ;-).

Regards
    Barbara

Thursday, March 17, 2011 4:26 AM
  • Hi everybody,

The problem is definitely the list separator!! (I am from Belgium)

It is fixed with SP1 :)

Regards
    Wim

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 10:45 PM