Excel 2003 stop working after Windows 10 April 2018 update RRS feed

• Question

• HI.

I've two Windows 10 PCs with Excel 2003 SP3 installed.

All worked fine until I've updated - on all two PCs - Windows 10 to the latest April 2018 update.

Now, when I open an old Excel file ant try to insert a new value in a cell , the program suddenly close itself and exit without saving anything.

I've repeated the operation many times on all two PCs with the same (bad) result

Any idea?

Thanks in advance.

Friday, May 18, 2018 1:31 PM

All replies

• Had exactly the same problem.

Only way to solve it was to go back to the previous version of WIndows 10,when it worked fine again-until the next update!

Friday, May 18, 2018 9:29 PM
  • Me too. I can't see any reason to drop Office 2003. 

Newer versions are either complicated or cumbersome without adding anything to the average user.
    Please provide immediately a solution: people have paied Office 2003 and want to continue to use it.
    I also have boutght Office 2016 but I do not intend to switch to this product.
    I cannot goback to the previous version as the grace period has expired.

Sunday, May 20, 2018 9:31 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem. Enter a new value in a cell and the program will close itself. Also if I open a new version of excel, it will list the problem file as a recovered document.  But the same thing happens.

I've also found that I keep getting a message that my F: drive is nearly full.  I can see that this a partitioned drive, and I don't think it was a partition there before.

Both of these problems seemed to have happened since the Windows 10 Update.  It was huge and took ages to update.

My wife's pc has no issues with the update.  She can open and use the problem excel file without any problems.  Also she did not get a partitioned drive added to her PC.

It would be great if Windows could tell us how to fix the problems.

Hope someone can help.

Thursday, May 24, 2018 7:22 AM
  • I have the same problem. I tried uninstalling Office 2003 and reinstalling it = no change. I tried going to Control Panel > Programs and Features and then right clicking on Office 2003 and selecting "Repair" which found nothing (at least I did not get any pop-up windows with admitted fixes) = no change.

Not sure what else to do?

Come on Microsoft, help us out here. I NEED to use Excel.

Thursday, May 24, 2018 8:24 AM
  • I had the same problem and tried all the aforementioned repairs. Regressing Win10 update 1 version solved the problem. Then I turned off Win10 updates through services.msc.
    Thursday, May 24, 2018 8:30 PM