none
Connect using Windows 10 Hyper-V Manager to Windows 2012R2 Hyper-V

Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to access from Windows 10 Hyper-V manager to Windows 2012R2 but I get the following error message "An error occurred while attempting to connect to server . Check that the Virtual Machine Management service is running and that you are authorized to connect to the server."

From what I can understand from Technet Windows 10 Hyper-V manager support Windows 2012R2 Hyper-V - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-docs/compute/hyper-v/manage/remotely-manage-hyper-v-hosts

I'm doing something incorrect or Windows 10 Hyper-V manager not supported Windows 2012R2 Hyper-V server?

Monday, February 13, 2017 9:02 AM

Answers

• Can you start RSAT tools and add your server by right-clicking on add servers. Next right-click on server and select manage as. You did that right?
    • Edited by Nedim Mehic Monday, February 13, 2017 12:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ron_g Monday, February 13, 2017 12:58 PM
    Monday, February 13, 2017 12:36 PM
  • In RSAT tools right click on server and select Hyper-v Manager
    • Marked as answer by Ron_g Monday, February 13, 2017 12:58 PM
    Monday, February 13, 2017 12:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

you can indeed manage a Windows 2012R2 Hyper-V host using RSAT installed on a Windows 10 client. Did you enable remoting on both the client and the server? (Enable-PSRemoting in PowerShell)

And are both machines domain-joined? If not, follow the steps described here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-docs/compute/hyper-v/manage/remotely-manage-hyper-v-hosts (scroll down to "Connect to a Windows 2016 or Windows 10 remote host outside your domain, or with no domain")

Floris van der Ploeg - www.florisvanderploeg.com

If my post was helpfull, remember to click the "Propose as answer" button.

Monday, February 13, 2017 9:17 AM
  • I followed the procedure and I get the following error:

[Window Title]
    Hyper-V Manager

[Main Instruction]
    An error occurred while attempting to connect to server "WIN-H4GN69UD388.RDS.COM". Check that the Virtual Machine Management service is running and that you are authorized to connect to the server.

[Content]
    This version of the Hyper-V Management Tools cannot be used to manage servers running Windows Server 2012 or Windows Server 2012 R2 as another user.

[Close]

Monday, February 13, 2017 9:38 AM
  • Hi,

Installing RSAT didn't solve the issue.

Should I run the winrm commands on the client or server?

Monday, February 13, 2017 11:36 AM
  • Hi,

See below error I get when running the first command.

C:\Windows\system32>winrm quickconfig
    WinRM service is already running on this machine.
    WSManFault
                WSManFault
                    Message = WinRM firewall exception will not work since one of the network connection types on this machine is set to Public. Change the network connection type to either Domain or Private and try again.

Error number:  -2144108183 0x80338169
    WinRM firewall exception will not work since one of the network connection types on this machine is set to Public. Change the network connection type to either Domain or Private and try again.

Thanks.

Monday, February 13, 2017 12:03 PM
  • Hi,

Still same error message.

Monday, February 13, 2017 12:24 PM
  • Hi,

Now the command run successfully after changing the client NetworkCategory to private.

But I get the same error when trying to access using the Hyper-V manager.

This version of the Hyper-V Management Tools cannot be used to manage servers running Windows Server 2012 or Windows Server 2012 R2 as another user.

Monday, February 13, 2017 12:33 PM
  • Yes and it's working.
    Monday, February 13, 2017 12:41 PM
  • The server manager is working. The Hyper-V manager still not working from the Windows 10 machine.
    Monday, February 13, 2017 12:44 PM
  • That's what I did, It's not connected to the server. It's open the Hyper-V manager but not connected to any machine.

When I'm trying to open the "DNS manager" it's connected to the server... 

Monday, February 13, 2017 12:49 PM
  • Now it's working.

Thank you.

Monday, February 13, 2017 12:58 PM
  • Perfect, you are welcome Ron.
    Monday, February 13, 2017 12:59 PM