none
Defer Upgrades Policy Not Stopping 1511 to 1607 Feature Update Downloads

Question

• We have a group policy set to to CBB plus 8 months, but when I check for update online, the 1607 feature update still starts downloading from Microsoft.

How can be be sure this setting is being properly enforced on Windows 10 Enterprise 10586.753?

We want to be able to check updates online to verify a system isn't missing any updates approvals, but not get the 1607 feature update.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 1:00 AM

All replies

• > We have a group policy set to to CBB plus 8 months, but when I check for update online, the 1607 feature update still starts downloading from Microsoft.

You have noticed "you can defer feature updates for 180 days"? That's 6 months, after that Windows will simply ignore your setting.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 11:53 AM
  • We have it set for Current Branch For Business.  So, it should still defer for 180 days past Current Branch For Business release date at the very minimum.  That's still months away.

Also, this is 1511, which is supposed to be able to be deferred for 8 months past CBB.  The 180 day limit doesn't take effect until after you start using 1607, but we haven't even reached 180 days past CBB at this point.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 2:13 PM
  • I set the registry key DeferUpgradePeriod registry key to 8 for 8 months and it still started downloading the 1607 feature update when checking for updates online.

This is broken.  

We now have to block access to Microsoft Updates as a workaround to prevent users from inadvertently upgrading their PCs.

• Edited by MyGposts Thursday, February 23, 2017 3:40 AM
    Thursday, February 23, 2017 3:39 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

To achieve your goa, you could try to install WSUS and configure to decline the upgrade to 1607 update for the computers, Allowing other updates.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 6:03 AM