How to get rid of the tray message "Windows Disk Protection is On" RRS feed

• Question

• I wanted to remove the message in the tray but could not find any .exe or setting that i could use to remove that annoying message. Is there a way to get rid of it?
    Monday, June 25, 2007 4:37 PM

Answers

• Dear Martin,

if I am not mistaken, you are referring to the popup messages connected with the Windows Disk Protection item in the System Tray.  If that is the case, I know from experience that the Bubble.exe program in the Windows SteadyState program directory is responsible for showing these messages.

It should be possible to disable it's action by either:

- [the ugly way] renaming the executable to something like Bubble_OFF.exe
    - [the nice way] by adding Bubble.exe to the Block Programs list of the restricted user(s) you have defined

I haven't tested this, so your mileage may vary.

Please let us know if any of this works (or not).

HTH.

Sincerely,

Jan J.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 7:57 AM
  • Hi,

Please be aware that bubble.exe is also responsible for showing warning messages about the cache file running out of space.  Normally, when the cache passes 75% full, bubble will warn the user to save his work because the machine will be rebooted soon to clear the cache.  Without this warning, the machine will simply reboot without any notification to the user.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 7:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I assume you are meaning the session countdown message for a limited user account. As a workaround, you can clear the box "always display session countdown" in Steadystate. The setting can be located at :user settings> click one user profile> General Tab. Thus the message will only show up for 4 seconds every 10 minutes.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 7:08 AM
  • Dear Martin,

if I am not mistaken, you are referring to the popup messages connected with the Windows Disk Protection item in the System Tray.  If that is the case, I know from experience that the Bubble.exe program in the Windows SteadyState program directory is responsible for showing these messages.

It should be possible to disable it's action by either:

- [the ugly way] renaming the executable to something like Bubble_OFF.exe
    - [the nice way] by adding Bubble.exe to the Block Programs list of the restricted user(s) you have defined

I haven't tested this, so your mileage may vary.

Please let us know if any of this works (or not).

HTH.

Sincerely,

Jan J.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 7:57 AM
  • Sammy: I meant the tray message direct after booting to the desktop.

Jan J.: Thanks, that worked. Bubble.exe really is responsible for this message. After renaming it it no more displayed.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 6:33 AM
  • Hi,

Please be aware that bubble.exe is also responsible for showing warning messages about the cache file running out of space.  Normally, when the cache passes 75% full, bubble will warn the user to save his work because the machine will be rebooted soon to clear the cache.  Without this warning, the machine will simply reboot without any notification to the user.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 7:08 PM
  • Suggestion to the developers:  How about adding an option like you already have for the administrator warning on the WDP screen.  Allow us to choose whether we want the "Disk Protection is On" message to appear at startup?  I'd also like to NOT have it pop up whenever we start the system but I WOULD like to be notified if the cache is filling up.

Thanks, Tom Adams
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 6:57 PM