none
DPM 2007 New Problem ID 24050 RRS feed

• Question

• My weekly tape has been working well for some time, this weekend it only backed up DPMDB, and then this error for the other two jobs:

Failed to perform the operation since the tape free tape is not available in Stand Alone Drive Tape Library Hewlett Packard LTO Ultrium-3 drive (ID 24050)

The server is W2k3 32-bit, I have Colocation enabled.  I also have compression enabled as a few month sago it started running out of room.

Normally I do an identify on the tape each week and when It says it is expired I do Mark Tape as Free.

This has worked for years, so not understanding what is wrong now.

If I am running low on space, wouldn't it try to back up more than the DPMDB?  I saw a few similar posts from last year that have been closed that talked about doing registry changes.

Any ideas?

Peter Jam
    Monday, August 8, 2011 12:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It could be a slight timing issue, I have read reports that if a tape expires on the same day that the new job starts, that they have seen DPM append to the tape instead of overwrite it.   See if that happened to you, under the library tab - right-click the tape used last night and view tape details, see if all the older recovery points are expired, but the msdpm db backup was put on that tape.

Also, to help invesitgate and correct the problem so backup continue add this registry entry. During a tape backup if a tape becomes full and there are no other tapes marked free, Free (contains data) or expired in the library, DPM will raise an alert to prompt for another free tape to continue backup. It will wait for 1 hour by default before failing the job.

This prompting timeout can be configured by the registry entry “PromptingTimeOut” under “HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\1.0\Prompting”

PromptingTimeOut:REG_Dword:43200000  (dec) = 12hrs

The Formula is   (#hrs * 1000 * 60 * 60)
    1HR =  1*1000*60*60 =  3600000  decimal

So for each hour to wait, multiply by 3600000.
    8hrs = 28800000  decimal

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, August 8, 2011 2:36 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It could be a slight timing issue, I have read reports that if a tape expires on the same day that the new job starts, that they have seen DPM append to the tape instead of overwrite it.   See if that happened to you, under the library tab - right-click the tape used last night and view tape details, see if all the older recovery points are expired, but the msdpm db backup was put on that tape.

Also, to help invesitgate and correct the problem so backup continue add this registry entry. During a tape backup if a tape becomes full and there are no other tapes marked free, Free (contains data) or expired in the library, DPM will raise an alert to prompt for another free tape to continue backup. It will wait for 1 hour by default before failing the job.

This prompting timeout can be configured by the registry entry “PromptingTimeOut” under “HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\1.0\Prompting”

PromptingTimeOut:REG_Dword:43200000  (dec) = 12hrs

The Formula is   (#hrs * 1000 * 60 * 60)
    1HR =  1*1000*60*60 =  3600000  decimal

So for each hour to wait, multiply by 3600000.
    8hrs = 28800000  decimal

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, August 8, 2011 2:36 PM
  • Mike,

When I right click on the tape which I marked free on Friday (tape runs 1AM Saturday) and select view contents that is all I see DPMDB.

And when I look in the registry for:  HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\1.0, all I see is Registration. Should I have the value Prompting?

The DPM event viewerer showed the problem at 2:02AM

Peter Jam
    Monday, August 8, 2011 2:50 PM
  • Hi,

Interesting, can you look at the properties of the failed tape backup job and see how much data was backed up before it failed.

The PromptingTimeOut value will need to be made, it is not there by default.

Monday, August 8, 2011 4:26 PM
  • Mike, Wasn't sure how to do that so I went into Recover and selected the DPM server and Saturdays date.  It shows Tape\DPMDB size 1GB.

Tape Staus Report says 1 Succees and 6 failutres for August 6th. and Tape utilzation for Last Week is this:

Tape Utilization Report

Tape utilization details by Protection Group

Protected tapes

Time Period
    Total tapes
    Protection Group 1
    Aug 06
    Aug 07
    SQL Backup
    Aug 06
    Aug 07
    Protection Group 2 (this is my DPMDB)
    Aug 06
    Aug 07

Peter Jam
    Mike,

Please give details on how to add the registry enty for prompting.

Thanks 

Mike I found an older posting of yours and found the technet.

I have added a DWORD for PromptingTimeOut under hklm\sof..\Mi..\Mi..Dat..Pro.Manager\1.0 and gave it a decimal value of:

We'll see what happens Saturday morining.

Monday, August 8, 2011 4:58 PM
  • Mike,

that seemed to have done the trick.  Everything backed up to Tape Saturday.

thanks,

I tried to see how much data was on the tape to see if it is nearing it's limit and i couldn't seem to find it anywhere

Peter Jam
    Monday, August 15, 2011 2:50 PM