Windows 7 - Standard "Print Pictures" RRS feed

• Question

• Hey Guys, I have a question regarding Windows 7 and pictures.

I have a png picture, when I try to right click on a pictures and select print, the software “Print pictures” turns up. Is it possible to change this software to a third party, this is because we need to print n of n pages and the standard software does not support that, as fare as we can see. This are when our users open documents, drawings and so thought Microsoft Dynamic.

The guide/how-to I could find of the interne, haven giving any solutions regarding this problem.

Any that have useable solution to this?

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 8:03 AM

Answers

• Hi,

About current demand, I think we should change our mindset.

In fact, “Print pictures” pops up by design when right click picture and select print, we can’t change this presetting. Please understand that UI is belong to Windows explorer. 

Since you would like to use the third-part print software instead of “Print pictures”, why not open png pictures by this software.

Maybe you could open this third-part print software directly and run a print task, then, select those pictures that you want to print, please have a try to see the result.

Hope my clarification is clear.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 21, 2016 12:18 PM
  • It's not possible to change the setting as the print options for PNG file type is hard coded in Windows. Many such options are hard coded, like edit with Notepad for text files and add to playlist for audio files. If you can try installing any third party software, and if such software offers printing pictures via context menus (the popup that comes on right clicking), then you can go for it.

The settings are present in Registry with unique values for each command. Modifying these values with wrong values will cause catastrophic issues. Hence we don't recommend editing registry for such changes.

Balaji Kundalam

Friday, January 22, 2016 5:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

About current demand, I think we should change our mindset.

In fact, “Print pictures” pops up by design when right click picture and select print, we can’t change this presetting. Please understand that UI is belong to Windows explorer. 

Since you would like to use the third-part print software instead of “Print pictures”, why not open png pictures by this software.

Maybe you could open this third-part print software directly and run a print task, then, select those pictures that you want to print, please have a try to see the result.

Hope my clarification is clear.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 21, 2016 12:18 PM
  • It's not possible to change the setting as the print options for PNG file type is hard coded in Windows. Many such options are hard coded, like edit with Notepad for text files and add to playlist for audio files. If you can try installing any third party software, and if such software offers printing pictures via context menus (the popup that comes on right clicking), then you can go for it.

The settings are present in Registry with unique values for each command. Modifying these values with wrong values will cause catastrophic issues. Hence we don't recommend editing registry for such changes.

Balaji Kundalam

Friday, January 22, 2016 5:20 AM
  • Hi,
    Would you mind letting me know the result of the suggestions? If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Monday, February 1, 2016 9:20 AM