Sharepoint Licensing Cost RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I want some clarity on sharepoint licensing for the below requirement.Any inputs will be much appreciated.

I am planning to develop and host  a business application in Sharepoint.
    Since the development and Infrastructure cost is huge,I will be charging the client on per user basis.I am targetting many clients from this application.
    According to my understanding I have to bear the cost for following things.

1) Physical servers
    2) Load Balancers
    3) Windows server 2008 license- how must will this cost?
    4) Sharepoint Server 2010- What kind of license is best suited for my requirement and how much will it cost me?

I know for sure that this application can be developed in Sharepoint Foundation server.However, i hear from my friends that SFS cannot be used in a production site for business purpose!True?

Thanks,

Hanif

Hanif
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, June 23, 2011 11:09 AM "Sharepoint Server 2010" so it goes to a SP 2010 forum doesn't it? (Costs vary per location so the best you can get is a good estimate of what licences you will need) (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 10:43 AM

Answers

• You'll need to discuss the actual licensing costs with a reseller.  Discounts are often available and prices will vary significantly.

However for your other question.  Your friends are completely wrong.  There is nothing to prevent you from using SharePoint Foundation for a production business site.  The normal problem is that you will usually need some of the functionality added to SharePoint Server for most business endeavors.  Its usually cheaper to buy SharePoint Server than it is to develop everything on SharePoint Foundation from scratch.  But Foundation can be used in a Production environment.

Ask your friends for written documentation that Foundation can't be used that way.  They won't be able to provide it because it doesn't exist.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 11:30 AM