Windows Vista Update KB969897 fails RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I use Windows Vista Business 32 bits English version, and McAfee VirusScan Enterprise ver 8.5i. This week, I have been trying to install one of the recent Windows Updates:
      Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Vista (KB969897)

After installation, the machine has to be restarted. When I do so, it cannot boot again. This update stops at the stage:
      configuring updates 3 of 3. 0 % complete
    A few minutes later, the machine automatically shuts down, restarts, and gets stuck at the stage:
      configuring updates 3 of 3. 0 % complete
    That's endless.

I found that the update KB937287 caused a similar problem, from
      http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=3998
    But I was not suffered at that time.

Does anyone experience a similar problem? Is this a conflict among several different Windows Update packages, or just the file KB969897 corrupted?

As for recovery, safe mode did not work because this mode also wants to continue Windows Update. I could only reboot from the CD of Windows Vista, and restore the system at the backup point. So Windows Update History shows the error:
      Installation status: Failed
      Error details: Code 800F0816
      Update type: Important
    Now I am leaving the update KB969897 undone.

Regards,
    • Edited by erre2010 Saturday, July 11, 2009 6:26 PM
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 7:23 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Manually download the update files and then install it from the hard disk. Please pick the updates from the website of Microsoft Download Center:

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 in Windows Vista (KB969897)

If the problem reoccurs after install the update package, we might perform the following steps to hide that update.

1.        Click Start, click All Programs, and then click Windows Update.

2.        Click Check for Updates.

3.        Click View Available Updates.

4.        Locate update KB969897, and then click to clear the check box next to this update.

5.        Right-click this update, and then click Hide update.

6.        Click OK.

7.        When you are asked for confirmation, click Yes.

For more information about this subject, I suggest you submit a Windows Update service request to Microsoft. Unlimited installation and compatibility support is available at no charge.

Windows update

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6527

Good Luck!
    Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Thursday, July 16, 2009 10:11 AM
    Friday, July 10, 2009 9:20 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Manually download the update files and then install it from the hard disk. Please pick the updates from the website of Microsoft Download Center:

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 in Windows Vista (KB969897)

If the problem reoccurs after install the update package, we might perform the following steps to hide that update.

1.        Click Start, click All Programs, and then click Windows Update.

2.        Click Check for Updates.

3.        Click View Available Updates.

4.        Locate update KB969897, and then click to clear the check box next to this update.

5.        Right-click this update, and then click Hide update.

6.        Click OK.

7.        When you are asked for confirmation, click Yes.

For more information about this subject, I suggest you submit a Windows Update service request to Microsoft. Unlimited installation and compatibility support is available at no charge.

Windows update

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6527

Good Luck!
    Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Thursday, July 16, 2009 10:11 AM
    Friday, July 10, 2009 9:20 AM
  • Hi Andy,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Unfortunately, manual download did not improve the situation.

So I downloaded the file
      IE8-Windows6.0-KB969897-x86.msu
    executed it, and restarted Windows. Soon after the restart Windows ran CHKDSK,
      checking file systems on C:
    The scan was successful, it restarted again. But I found exactly the same problem as before.

This may be related to some problems in my registry; not sure. I will send a request to Microsoft from the webpage you gave.

Regards,
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 6:25 PM
  • Kindly suggested me to reinstall Windows.

P.S. So I did it. Maybe it was worth trying to remove IE8 (and install IE7), do update.

Sunday, July 12, 2009 5:36 PM