none
Project reports from project center opens, but is not showing any project nr to import data from? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, i would like to try the project reports we can obtain trough the project center.  The XL files / dokuments open, but contines no project number / name in the upper LH corner to recive the project data from. I am doing anything wrong here?

Regards

Ernst Knutson 

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 12:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Are you saying that you are not able to see the Project number or Name in your exported excel file? If that is the case you can add the desired fields to the Project Center View and Then try exporting it from Project Center.

Let me know if I did not understand your question correctly.

Regards,

Sudhir

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 4:13 PM
  • Ernst,

I am assuming you are referring to the standard Excel reports that are provided from the Reports link in Project Online.

1. Project Overview
    2. Resource Overview
    3. Project Dashboard

The names may differ slightly.

In my experience trying to run these reports from the Reports library without any changes results in the reports displaying an error message when you try to refresh the data connections. 

To resolve this challenge download the 3 sample reports. Open them in Excel and click the "Enable Editing" option and then make a nominal change to them where they have been downloaded. For the Project Overview Dashboard make the change on Sheet 1 not the tab called Project Overview Dashboard (a Power View Sheet) - the change can be as simple as typing a number in a cell and then undoing that change. Now click on the Data ribbon and click the Refresh All option in the data connections section. Save the file. Repeat this approach for the other downloaded reports.

When you have completed these actions upload the files back to the reports library in Project Online, if you are prompted to over-write the file select the "Replace" option.

Your reports should now display data from your instance of Project Online when you access them within the Browser.

HTH.

With good wishes,

Dominic

Microsoft Project Evangelist

Twitter:   LinkedIn:    Web:   

• Proposed as answer by Dominic Moss Friday, April 7, 2017 8:11 PM
    Wednesday, April 5, 2017 8:12 PM
  • You are correct Dominic. Tanks for your replay.  

Best Regards

Ernst

Thursday, April 6, 2017 9:16 AM
  • SOLVED partly,

Tanks for your tip, Dominic. It worked when i did download - open in new window - enable editing - Refresh all. But not for the Project dashboard. I see the data is loading, ( so i recon it works ) but nothing shows in the XL sheets. Maybe i have to create a portfolio dashboard first ?

Best regards

Ernst 

Thursday, June 1, 2017 12:10 PM
  • Did another step to solve the project dashboard report. 

Project center - Area settings - Site management - Functions in area collection  

Activation of XL web app update.  

Still not showing anything in the XL sheets. 

Regards

Ernst

Friday, June 2, 2017 12:49 PM
  • Can it be i have to switch to    en-us     language  reports?  now in Norwegian.  

Regards

Ernst

Friday, June 2, 2017 1:08 PM
  • Did som more digging in this.

When i have,  download - open in new window - enable editing - Refresh all. Then i took a look on the connection button. On the work connection, bottom of the list ( workbook data modell ) - definition.  

The hole sheet here are empty, where are the  orgiginal template  for the data modell / o-data connection  placed ?  

Thursday, June 8, 2017 7:23 AM