Accessing a site created in a web app using a host header - NTLM Auth RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have created a web application by providing a host header during web app creation (E.g. "spintranet") using the default windows NTLM authentication. I am using MOSS 2007. I created a site (After restarting IIS) using the "Team Site" template by providing the domain administrator as the site's primary administrator and the site is created successfully. Now, I make sure that hosts file contains the entry "<IP>   hostheaderaliasname" in it (SharePoint automatically inserts it).

But I am unable to login to the team site as the domain administrator (It asks me to enter credential thrice and then fails with error that IIS has declined because of invalid credentials).

Can someone please tell me why this can happen?

Thanks,
    Surya

Friday, December 31, 2010 9:57 AM

Answers

• "Now, I make sure that hosts file contains the entry "<IP>   hostheaderaliasname" in it (SharePoint automatically inserts it)."

What hosts file? Do you mean the IIS bindings? Or the hosts file found in C:\Windows\System\drivers\etc ?

Here's what I'd check:
    1. Verify the domain admin's id is still a Site Collection Administrator from central admin.
    2. Open IIS admin snapin on your sp server and check the bindings.  You should not need the IP in the bindings, just the host header.
    3. Run nslookup on the machine from which your domain admin is using. Verify the ip returned is that of SP Server hosting "spintranet". If not, you may need to update DNS. You may also need to update the windows hosts file found @ C:\Windows\System\drivers\etc.

SharePoint Solution Architect, Developer
    • Marked as answer by Lily Wu Thursday, January 6, 2011 9:01 AM
    Friday, December 31, 2010 11:49 AM

All replies

• Hi Surya,

Did you create host record in DNS for the site ?

If you ping the host header then does it give you IP address of SharePoint server ?

try accessing site using IP address , also check site collection admin accounts.

And finally add host entry in local host file and then try to access site.

Please let us know in case of any query

Regards, Pratik Vyas | SharePoint Consultant | http://sharepointpratik.blogspot.com/
    Friday, December 31, 2010 10:03 AM
  • I wonder if it is just a question that the domain administrator needs *specifically* to be given access rights to the site.

The domain administrator didn't create the site and all that seems to have happened is that the domain administrator was assigned to be the contact person for the site.

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Friday, December 31, 2010 11:25 AM
  • "Now, I make sure that hosts file contains the entry "<IP>   hostheaderaliasname" in it (SharePoint automatically inserts it)."

What hosts file? Do you mean the IIS bindings? Or the hosts file found in C:\Windows\System\drivers\etc ?

Here's what I'd check:
    1. Verify the domain admin's id is still a Site Collection Administrator from central admin.
    2. Open IIS admin snapin on your sp server and check the bindings.  You should not need the IP in the bindings, just the host header.
    3. Run nslookup on the machine from which your domain admin is using. Verify the ip returned is that of SP Server hosting "spintranet". If not, you may need to update DNS. You may also need to update the windows hosts file found @ C:\Windows\System\drivers\etc.

SharePoint Solution Architect, Developer
    • Marked as answer by Lily Wu Thursday, January 6, 2011 9:01 AM
    Friday, December 31, 2010 11:49 AM