Backup fails in Vista Ultimate 32Bit SP1 RRS feed

• Question

• Machine setup 1 hard drive, 3 partitions
    C: Vista Ultimate 32bit SP1
    D: HP recovery partition for Vista OS
    E: Linux SusE11

I have attempted to create a back-up using Windows backup and the following errors occur, Control panel - create backup. Error message "Windows could not find backup devices on your computer. The following information might explain why this problem occurred:

The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. (0x8007007B)  Please close the application and try again.

This was attempted with two different external HDs connected at the same time and then separately through USB, both with over 100GB of free space and both NTFS formatted(the requirement for Backup). Researched and found similar problems out there with no solution. No joy here lets move on

Step four: Ok, I can't back up the entire PC so I'll try the BACK UP FILES option in the backup configuration at least I'll have something to rebuild my system if everything crash and burns. And here's where it gets somewhat interesting. When I choose backup files, windows recognizes either of the external HDs. Great we're getting somewhere. I choose Ultra HD with 116.6GB of free space. Click next and choose back up schedule, weekly on Sundays at 11 PM. Message down below states " Because this is your first back up windows will create a full back up now". Then clicked "save settings and backup now" and lo and behold I get an error message. "Your backup configuration is not valid. Review your backup settings. (0x081000029)  Please try again"
    Now the only settings that exist in this configuration tool are the schedule for back up settings. Tried different schedule types and times all to no avail.

Then I tried to install SP 2 for vista, that also failed. What can I do to get this right.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 7:28 PM

Answers

• The issue is resolved. It was an issue with Linux Boot Manager.
    Here is the reply from seanchai: "I ran Vista OS disk and repaired. This resulted in Windows taking control of booting from GRUB bootloader (so no more GUI for booting to other OS). I was then able to create a backup with no problems and then successfully upgrade to W7. So the issue it seems is resolved..."

Thanks,
    Lokesh[MSFT]

Tuesday, December 8, 2009 4:30 AM

All replies

• Hello seanchai,
    Can you collect the following information and send it to me at lokkum"at"microsoft"dot"com.

1. logs from under C:\Windows\logs\WindowsBackup\*.etl
    2. logs from under C:\Windows\logs\CompletePC\*.etl
    3. run->regedit-> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsBackup. (right click and 'export')
    4. mountvol >> DiskInfo.txt.
    5. cmd-> "Diskpart".
        i. Diskpart> list vol

You can also put the contents onto skydrive space and paste the link in the mail.

Thanks,
    Lokesh [MSFT]
    Friday, November 13, 2009 5:56 AM
  • Hi Lokesh,

I have just uploaded the data you requested in Skydrive and sent an e-mail with link to your MSFT address. Thanks for looking into this for me.

Regards,

John
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 7:23 PM
  • Hi seanchai,
    Thanks for providing the data.

I have sent a follow up mail at seanchai"at"hotmail"dot"com. Please check. 

Will take this issue offline with you and post the outcome here. You can mail me if you have any concerns.

Thanks,
    Lokesh [MSFT]
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:54 AM
  • Hello seanchai,
    I had sent a mail asking you to run a tool to localize the issue. Did you have a chance to run that?

Meanwhile, we have found a similar issue with another customer and the cause was found to be the Linux boot manager. Uninstalling that seems to fix the issue. Can you try that and report your findings?

Thanks,
    Lokesh [MSFT]
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 12:06 PM
  • The issue is resolved. It was an issue with Linux Boot Manager.
    Here is the reply from seanchai: "I ran Vista OS disk and repaired. This resulted in Windows taking control of booting from GRUB bootloader (so no more GUI for booting to other OS). I was then able to create a backup with no problems and then successfully upgrade to W7. So the issue it seems is resolved..."

Thanks,
    Lokesh[MSFT]

Tuesday, December 8, 2009 4:30 AM
  • After the ... for the proposed answer I would like to add that although the issue was resolved, it also dumped my Linux install and all associated content, so it was n't an ideal answer by a long shot. I don't appreciate MSFT taking selective text to display as an answer in order for them to hide their problems and Windows general problems which are many as I have found. The purpose of any forum should be to share information in an honest and straightforward manner, this has not been the case for me, although I am thankful for the responses from Lokesh I remain very skeptical towards MSFT intentions.
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 2:02 AM