none
Microsoft Product: Windows Operating System; Version: 6.0.6002.18005; Event ID: 7; Event Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power RRS feed

• Question

• how can I fix this? Microsoft Product: Windows Operating System;
    Version: 6.0.6002.18005; Event ID: 7; Event Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power

Thursday, October 18, 2012 4:25 AM

All replies

• Event ID 7:

Explanation

The device has a bad block of memory, which Windows attempted to read. The data might be missing or corrupted.

Run from the command prompt the following line:

chkdsk / r

If chkdsk reports {OK}

You may want to check S.M.A.R.T. data on the hard drive - The S.M.A.R.T. data can sometimes be read in BIOS or in diagnostic utilites that may come with the PC (For example Dell has built-in diagonostic tools are capable of reading S.M.A.R.T. data).

Monday, November 12, 2012 8:40 PM
  • Click Start - All Programs - Accessories - Right click Command Prompt and choose Run As Administrator.

Disk drives in Windows monitor themselves for impending failure. The feature is called S.M.A.R.T. It will detect impending failure 30% of the time. In an elevated command prompt type
    wmic /namespace:\\root\wmi PATH MSStorageDriver_FailurePredictStatus get active,predictfailure,reason /format:List 
    If it's on Active will be true, if not on turn it on in the computer's BIOS.

Predict Failure should be False if everything's ok.

In Vista and later if SMART predicts failure Windows prompts the user to run Backup.

--
    --
    "ShawnBryson" wrote in message news:93885b5b-c039-474e-b075-5e095e7d35d3...

Event ID 7:

Explanation

The device has a bad block of memory, which Windows attempted to read. The data might be missing or corrupted.

Run from the command prompt the following line:

chkdsk / r

If chkdsk reports {OK}

You may want to check S.M.A.R.T. data on the hard drive - The S.M.A.R.T. data can sometimes be read in BIOS or in diagnostic utilites that may come with the PC (For example Dell has built-in diagonostic tools are capable of reading S.M.A.R.T. data).

• Proposed as answer by ShawnBryson Thursday, April 4, 2013 8:23 PM
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 3:00 AM
  • I am a WMI fan - thanks for the WQL:

wmic /namespace:\\root\wmi PATH MSStorageDriver_FailurePredictStatus get active,predictfailure,reason /format:List

Thursday, April 4, 2013 8:26 PM
  • Hi there,

I have the same problem I have a dell dimension 32 bit 4GB memory and when I run the diagnostic test the short shelf test is timing out.

My D Drive is also full and I cannot back up anything and the following network adapators are not working Microsotf isatp adapter no 3 and microsoft tun miniport adaptors no 2 and no 3.

can you point me in the right direction as to how I can fix them all.

Sunday, August 25, 2013 6:28 PM
  • Your drive is failing. Buy a new one and reinstall windows then copy your files over.

David Candy

Monday, August 26, 2013 8:21 AM