none
Click on Favorites, Mouse Jumps Around, IE Locks Up for 30 Seconds RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I am having a strange problem with Internet Explorer.  I have all of the latest MS patches for everything.  When I open Internet Explorer (I have version 11), and click on my favorites icon (the star icon in the top right), IE locks up on me for about 30 seconds.  It eventually comes back after that time and everything is normal, I have access to all of my favorites.  However, if I close IE and reopen it, the same thing happens again.  If I leave it open, the issue does not seem to happen in the same instance of IE.  I have tried clearing all of my temporary files with no change.  I did a packet capture and noticed that when I click on my favorites icon, my PC ARP's for an IP address that no longer exists on my network (my private LAN) - it ARP's about 15-20 times and stops exactly when IE returns to normal.  So the two events sync up.  I did find some entries for this particular IP address under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RunMRU" and I have deleted them and rebooted.  I cannot find any reference to this IP anywhere else in the registry.  This IP address used to be a NAS drive that I had - accessed via backslash-backslash-sharename - but I decommissioned it.  I'm out of ideas here - anybody ever run into this or have any suggestions?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Monday, April 13, 2015 1:54 AM

Answers

• cannot find any reference to this IP anywhere else in the registry.  This IP address used to be a NAS drive that I had - accessed via backslash-backslash-sharename - but I decommissioned it.

So, it may not even be IE which is doing that.  FWIW I would run ProcMon to see what the events are which precede it.

Alternatively, I have recently learned that there may be even better diagnostics which we could at least activate and hopefully ProcMon could see those being written.  Capture the list and sort it alphabetically to try to make some sense of it.  So far, I think a cmd window is the best place to do this but I am working (slowly) on a PowerShell equivalent

netsh trace show providers | sort /+40 | clip

Then open a Notepad window and Paste the sorted output.  You might as well save it somewhere too to avoid having to do this again.

Ref:

<cite class="_Rm">https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff625276.aspx </cite>

Unfortunately there does not seem to be a separate "scenario" which is explicitly about IE but there are clearly several providers listed there which are would otherwise be in it.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, April 17, 2015 9:40 PM
    Answerer
  • Robert, thanks for the reply.

I did a bit more messing around with running traces with netsh.  I did manage to drill down to find the actual ARP's that I was seeing, but I could not map that back using process monitor.  I just don't know enough about using it.

However, I did some tinkering and found something strange.  I am not smart enough to put it all together, maybe somebody can help me.  I started removing and adding back my individual ".url" favorites files one by one from/to their location under my "c:\users\username\favorites" folder and narrowed it down to a single favorite.  Here was the original favorite file contents:

[DEFAULT]
    BASEURL=http://www.wireless.att.com/home/
    [InternetShortcut]
    URL=http://www.att.com/
    IDList=
    IconFile=http://www.att.com/favicon.ico
    IconIndex=1
    HotKey=0
    [{...cut...}]
    Prop3=19,2

If I open IE from a fresh reboot and click my favorites icon, the issue occurred.  The next time it happened again was exactly 60 seconds after I initially opened IE the first time.  I could open and close it as many times as I could within that 60 seconds and not have the issue occur again.  After the 60 seconds were up, if I opened IE again and clicked my favorites, the issue occurred again.  That sounds pretty strange, I know.

In any case, I did some more messing around with the file contents and found that if I change the "IconIndex" to "0" (zero), the problem went away.  You can directly hit that IconFile and it will display the AT&T icon.  If I delete and re-create the shortcut by going directly to AT&T's website and adding to favorites, it would recreate the file again the same way with the IconIndex set to 1.  If I change it to zero, the problem goes away.

None of this makes any sense to me.  But I have worked around the issue by changing that IconIndex to zero.

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 2:01 AM

All replies

• Hello microcm,

What do you mean about Internet Explorer lock up for 30 seconds?
    Please explain a bit about these issues, Screenshot preferrd.

Please refer to the following article about troubleshooting Internet Explorer 11.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-hk/internet-explorer/ie-crashes-stops-working#ie=ie-11

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 2:56 AM
  • I mean IE is completely unresponsive. I can minimize and restore the window, but I cannot interact with anything within it. Unfortunately, I am new to the forum and I can't attach a photo until "my account is verified".  But the whole window is visible, but sort of greyed.  And the title bar reads "Internet Explorer - Not Responding".

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 11:13 PM
  • cannot find any reference to this IP anywhere else in the registry.  This IP address used to be a NAS drive that I had - accessed via backslash-backslash-sharename - but I decommissioned it.

So, it may not even be IE which is doing that.  FWIW I would run ProcMon to see what the events are which precede it.

Alternatively, I have recently learned that there may be even better diagnostics which we could at least activate and hopefully ProcMon could see those being written.  Capture the list and sort it alphabetically to try to make some sense of it.  So far, I think a cmd window is the best place to do this but I am working (slowly) on a PowerShell equivalent

netsh trace show providers | sort /+40 | clip

Then open a Notepad window and Paste the sorted output.  You might as well save it somewhere too to avoid having to do this again.

Ref:

<cite class="_Rm">https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff625276.aspx </cite>

Unfortunately there does not seem to be a separate "scenario" which is explicitly about IE but there are clearly several providers listed there which are would otherwise be in it.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, April 17, 2015 9:40 PM
    Answerer
  • Robert, thanks for the reply.

I did a bit more messing around with running traces with netsh.  I did manage to drill down to find the actual ARP's that I was seeing, but I could not map that back using process monitor.  I just don't know enough about using it.

However, I did some tinkering and found something strange.  I am not smart enough to put it all together, maybe somebody can help me.  I started removing and adding back my individual ".url" favorites files one by one from/to their location under my "c:\users\username\favorites" folder and narrowed it down to a single favorite.  Here was the original favorite file contents:

[DEFAULT]
    BASEURL=http://www.wireless.att.com/home/
    [InternetShortcut]
    URL=http://www.att.com/
    IDList=
    IconFile=http://www.att.com/favicon.ico
    IconIndex=1
    HotKey=0
    [{...cut...}]
    Prop3=19,2

If I open IE from a fresh reboot and click my favorites icon, the issue occurred.  The next time it happened again was exactly 60 seconds after I initially opened IE the first time.  I could open and close it as many times as I could within that 60 seconds and not have the issue occur again.  After the 60 seconds were up, if I opened IE again and clicked my favorites, the issue occurred again.  That sounds pretty strange, I know.

In any case, I did some more messing around with the file contents and found that if I change the "IconIndex" to "0" (zero), the problem went away.  You can directly hit that IconFile and it will display the AT&T icon.  If I delete and re-create the shortcut by going directly to AT&T's website and adding to favorites, it would recreate the file again the same way with the IconIndex set to 1.  If I change it to zero, the problem goes away.

None of this makes any sense to me.  But I have worked around the issue by changing that IconIndex to zero.

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 2:01 AM
  • None of this makes any sense to me.  But I have worked around the issue by changing that IconIndex to zero.

I don't know either but the favicon for a stored Favorite is usually also an NTFS Alternate Data Stream so I would use your ProcMon trace to see if it is involved somehow.

But why are going to potentially two different servers to get that favicon?  And perhaps it is also being referenced in the HTML.  So again I think your ProcMon trace could help explain a related sequence of events which may be culminating in the particular networking observations you made.

It would be nice to know what an IconIndex is.  Is it a Boolean?  Then perhaps your change just switches off that NTFS ADS feature and thus changes your sequence of events to avoid whatever the real problem is.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 8:13 PM
    Answerer