none
SharePoint Product Configuration Wizard -- Configuration Failed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Experts

I am installing the Project Server 2013 enviornment. I have one DB server and two App Servers(One is WFE)

When I recieved the systems, Windows Server 2012 was already installed on all machines with latest updates,

also the SharePoint Server 2013 was pre installed. [I should mention here that the SharePoint installation was done with a local admin account but the configuration wizard was never run that time.]

Now when we were doing all the installations, we installed all the softwares as expected up to Project Server 2013 but after that when we started (SharePoint Product Configuration Wizard), it reached up to 2nd or 3rd step, created the 'SharePoint_Config' database in DB server but soon after that it throws the error.

Somehow I am unable to upload the picture, the error says

"Failed to create the configuration database.

An exception of type System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException was thrown. Additional exception information: Access is denied."

If someonecan help me or suggest something. It will really help me. TIA

Thanks

Manish

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 6:42 AM

Answers

• Hii Everyone

Just a update.

I found that the service account was not having read/write permisson on the following location:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys

So provided this permission explicitily. And the sharepoint configuration wizard ran successfully!!

But when I opened the SP Central Admin the browser throws the following error:

(HTTP 500 Internal Server Error)

Any Suggestions!!

Thanks

Manish

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 3:16 PM
  • Hi manish,

Did you check in IIS? see if it stopped?

Nur Mondal

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 11:23 AM
  • Hi All,

The error was with IIS. Exactly what I am not sure of, but I removed IIS and again added it in all servers. After that the configuration wizard ran successfully, without any error. Also the Central Admin appeared in first attempt without any hesitation.

I think the problem was how or what features were added during IIS installation time.

But, Thank you all experts for your suggestions & help.

Thanks

Manish

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 6:18 AM

All replies

• Hi Manish,

Have you tried adding the SharePoint Farm Admin account to the Seurity > Logins for the DB server you are using ?

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 7:10 AM
  • Hi shankyshan

Yes it is added.

Thanks

Manish

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 7:36 AM
  • Hi Manish,

Can you please try to run PSCONFIG using powershell with SPFARM Admin rights?

KR, Sarath

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 8:33 AM
  • Hi Sarath

We tried with Powershell as well, but have got same error.

Thanks

Manish Upadhyay

Manish

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 9:46 AM
  • Hi Manish,

Have you tried the below steps for 15 hive path already?

https://ratnakarg.wordpress.com/tag/sharepoint-2010-failed-to-create-the-configuration-database/

KR, Sarath

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 10:18 AM
  • Hi,

You've probably checked all these, but here are the basics.

1. Turn off the Windows Firewall on both machines.  This is very common, but since you say you can see and access the SQL 2012 server from the SharePoint 2013 server that probably isn't the issue.
    2. Your SQL Service service account should be a domain account and have R/W privileges to where the mdf for databases will be created.
    3. Your install account must be a Local Admin on the SharePoint Server and have at least DBCreator and Security Admin roles in SQL on the SQL Server.
    4. Your farm account needs to be a domain account, but doesn't require any privileges to start since those will be assigned by the install account during installation.

That should be all it takes.  You mentioned you can access the SQL server from the SharePoint server.  By access do you mean RDP or can you connect to the SQL server?  I would try creating an ODBC User DSN on the SharePoint server as your setup account.  If you can access and existing database on the SQL server through a DSN that would verify your security and connectivity.

URL:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/06017496-eed2-4b35-8fe2-4b143255c6ab/installing-sharepoint-2013-failed-to-create-configuration-database?forum=sharepointadmin

http://www.pointbeyond.com/2012/08/02/failed-to-create-the-sharepoint-server-2013-configuration-database

http://eschrader.com/2013/03/27/sharepoint-2013-common-installation-issues/

Regards

Prasad Tandel

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 10:23 AM
  • Hi Manish,

This happens when the account you are using to connect to Database server doesn't have sufficent permision on DB.

Check the access permsiion of the account using in web server on DB server.

Regards,

Nur Mondal

Nur Mondal

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 10:25 AM
  • Hi Prasad

1. The Firewalls can not be stopped as per org's policy but a exception was created for all the ports.

2. SQL Service account is a domain account and have R/W privileges to where the mdf for databases will be created.

3. The service account is a Local Admin on the SharePoint Server and have DBCreator, Public, Security Admin and Sysadmin roles in SQL on the SQL Server.

4. The service account is a domain account.

I am looking at other links also. Will get back to you, if found something.

Thanks

Manish

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 2:09 PM
  • Hi Nur Mam

No, the account have DBCreator, Public, Security Admin and Sysadmin roles in SQL on the SQL Server.

I thought this should be enough for this installation.

Thanks

Manish

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 2:11 PM
  • Hi Sarath

I am looking this potenial link, will get back to you, if found something.

Thanks

Manish

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 2:13 PM
  • Hii Everyone

Just a update.

I found that the service account was not having read/write permisson on the following location:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys

So provided this permission explicitily. And the sharepoint configuration wizard ran successfully!!

But when I opened the SP Central Admin the browser throws the following error:

(HTTP 500 Internal Server Error)

Any Suggestions!!

Thanks

Manish

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 3:16 PM
  • Hi All

Any clues?? Will it be a permission issue?

Where should I check for it?

Thanks

Manish

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 8:52 AM
  • Hi manish,

Did you check in IIS? see if it stopped?

Nur Mondal

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 11:23 AM
  • Hi Manish,

Are you seeing anything on the ULS logs (if created any) or in event viewer?

KR, Sarath

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 11:48 AM
  • Hi All,

The error was with IIS. Exactly what I am not sure of, but I removed IIS and again added it in all servers. After that the configuration wizard ran successfully, without any error. Also the Central Admin appeared in first attempt without any hesitation.

I think the problem was how or what features were added during IIS installation time.

But, Thank you all experts for your suggestions & help.

Thanks

Manish

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 6:18 AM