none
Fonts subsystem and LegacyDetection registry key RRS feed

  • Question

  • I found a strange issue in next scenario:

    - Windows 10 (1803) with App-V 5.2
    - An App-V package with fonts in it and Fonts subsystem enabled
    - Local installed Google Chrome

    If Google Chrome is launched in such App-V package, it won't work. Chrome starts but does not display any page. It only says "something went wrong while displaying this webpage".

    When I disable the Fonts subsystem, Chrome runs without any problem. But I don't want to disable the Fonts subsystem, the fonts should be available.

    Another solution I found is to add chrome.exe to the LegacyDetection registry key of the AppV client settings. But I don't know what other consequences this has. Does anyone have some background of this key?

    Or has someone another way to get it work? Or some explanation about this behaviour?

    Tuesday, February 26, 2019 4:42 PM

All replies

  • Do you have secure fonts enabled? If you have, all fonts from untrusted locations (ea an app-v package) will be blocked and thus not be displayed.

    Roy Essers

    Tuesday, March 12, 2019 1:05 PM
  • Hi Roy,

    Interesting suggestion. We haven't configured this policy. According to the description it does not block untrusted fonts by default. As a test, I enabled the policy with the option 'Do not block untrusted fonts'. But this does not solve the problem.


    Friday, March 15, 2019 12:46 PM
  • Hi again, I can 100% reproduce your issue. We deploy Chrome as an App-V package aswell so no issue here.
    Usage of the LegacyDetection regkey is no where documented, so I'll try to find out where its for.

    Roy Essers

    Tuesday, March 19, 2019 4:40 PM
  • Hi Roy,

    What do you exactly mean?

    If you add fonts to your Chrome package you get the issue? Or when you enable blocking untrusted fonts you get the issue?

    Thursday, March 21, 2019 3:22 PM
  • I'm running into this same issue.  

    I have many applications using App-V.  When one of them opens Chrome (the default browser), it opens to a blank page with a Frowny face in the Fav Icon.  I noticed that I wasn't getting the "something went wrong while displaying this webpage" error until I turned off UAC.  

    My solution to this issue (at this time) is to disable UAC and create an entry for Chrome.exe in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\AppV\Subsystem\LegacyDetection .   It took both of these changes to make it work.

    To be clear - Chrome is installed Locally.  It's when another virtualized app calls chrome that the problem occurs.  If I open chrome first, without using a virtualized app, it also resolves the issue but isn't as nice of a solution for end users.

    I wanted to add to your solution to possibly help others that are struggling.


    Tuesday, June 25, 2019 4:03 PM