Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I have tried to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and got through  the Downloading, Preparing for Upgrade, Upgrade is ready to instal, Configure Update, and Start to load Files. The Computer starts Copying Files and gets to various percentages before just turning OFF completly. I have got to this point several times with the same result. although the percentage changes each time. An error message comes up : C1900101-2000C. Windowa couldn't be installed.

When I manually turn the Computer back on a message says: Restoring to your previous Windows 7.

How do I overcome this problem??

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 7:29 AM

Answers

• You might want to tried the media creation tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You can download it and just run on the Windows 7 system you are on and it should perform the update. I have updated several machines with only one problem with legacy software.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

• Proposed as answer by Deason Wu Monday, September 14, 2015 1:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Thursday, October 1, 2015 1:39 AM
    Wednesday, September 9, 2015 2:20 AM

All replies

• Are you using the media creation tool or did you wait for Windows Update to do the update?

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 4:48 PM
  • It sounds like you are using the Windows Update feature to do the update. I have had this same issue on one machine. I didn't find the root cause, but I did do the update install from an ISO file. I double clicked on the ISO which mounted it as a drive and then ran the setup.exe program. This worked as expected and updated the machine normally. Can you try running from a USB, ISO, or DVD?
    Tuesday, September 8, 2015 7:18 PM
  • I used the Windows Update to do the job. Same result each time
    Tuesday, September 8, 2015 11:44 PM
  • Thanks Brian. i 'm afraid I am not very experienced in Computer work, so followed the Windows 10 Upgrade. Can you advise the alternative in very simple language.
    • Edited by Beachsider Tuesday, September 8, 2015 11:47 PM
    Tuesday, September 8, 2015 11:46 PM
  • You might want to tried the media creation tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You can download it and just run on the Windows 7 system you are on and it should perform the update. I have updated several machines with only one problem with legacy software.

• Proposed as answer by Deason Wu Monday, September 14, 2015 1:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Thursday, October 1, 2015 1:39 AM
    Wednesday, September 9, 2015 2:20 AM
  • I had the same problem with the Windows Update, and then I tried to upgrade with the media creation tool and I had the same problem.

Is it possible that I should turn off some system hardware ? I tried so many times already

Monday, September 21, 2015 2:43 PM
  • Hi,

I found it is hardware related, uninstall all plugged device as possible as you can, especially video card, network device and USB driver, then try again.

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 25, 2015 1:14 AM
  • I have found a few times that this is caused by an out of date bios. See if you can get the latest bios update and try again. I have had issue with 3 machines upgrading and everytime it was an older bios.
    Friday, October 30, 2015 1:47 PM