locked
Move-SPSite: different database schema RRS feed

  • Question

  • 

    Hi, I am Trying to move content Databases, Mainly to get rid of the GUIDs. but i am getting this error. It dose not make sense to me because, to my knowledge, the databases has not been changed. 

    the error message:

    Move-SPSite : Cannon complete the copy or merge operation because the database schema versions are different.

    At Line:1 char:68

    +Get-SPSite -ContentDatabase 9xxxxx-xxxx-xxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxx | Move-SpSite -...

    could it be because someone tried to backup and restore the database, in the same location?

    how do I fix this?

    Your help will me very much appreciated.

    Monday, January 13, 2014 3:15 PM

Answers

  • Yes, is this your Central Admin Database, if yes then you need to run the COnfig wizard on the farm to upgrade this database...

    But if this is simple content Db then run upgrade-spcontentdatabase command.


    Please remember to mark your question as answered &Vote helpful,if this solves/helps your problem. ****************************************************************************************** Thanks -WS MCITP(SharePoint 2010, 2013) Blog: http://wscheema.com/blog

    • Marked as answer by JayShah22 Monday, January 13, 2014 5:14 PM
    Monday, January 13, 2014 4:55 PM

All replies

  • Try if upgrading the db works: http://www.mysticslayer.com/?tag=schema-version

    This error usually indicates different sp or patches are installed on a sharepoint environment. Do add the info if both databases or located on the same db server, which would be very strange.


    Kind regards,
    Margriet Bruggeman

    Lois & Clark IT Services
    web site: http://www.loisandclark.eu
    blog: http://www.sharepointdragons.com


    Monday, January 13, 2014 4:13 PM
  • you trying to move the sites from one content DB to other...correct?

    are both in the same web application and how you creating the Content Database, Did you try to create Content DB from Central admin?


    Please remember to mark your question as answered &Vote helpful,if this solves/helps your problem. ****************************************************************************************** Thanks -WS MCITP(SharePoint 2010, 2013) Blog: http://wscheema.com/blog

    Monday, January 13, 2014 4:15 PM
  • Hi Waqas,

    Yes, I am trying to move one content database to another. Both the content databases are on the same web application. I did create the new content database from central admin, under the same web application. 

    My main aim is to get rid of the GUIDs from the database names. That is why I created the new content database.

    Monday, January 13, 2014 4:29 PM
  • I am assuming both Dbs are on same DB server...what command you are using?

    also from central admin go to 

    Upgrade and Migration > review database status 

    from here make sure both of your DB's status are No action required.


    Please remember to mark your question as answered &Vote helpful,if this solves/helps your problem. ****************************************************************************************** Thanks -WS MCITP(SharePoint 2010, 2013) Blog: http://wscheema.com/blog

    Monday, January 13, 2014 4:33 PM
  • Hi Margriet,

    The databases are on the same db server. the content databases I am moving  are under the same Web application in SP2013. I find this very strange as well. I am thinking of removing/deleting the new ContentDatabase, then starting the whole process again, something i would like to avoid. If there is no better solution then, would you recommend it? 

    Monday, January 13, 2014 4:33 PM
  • The sharepoint_AdminContent_xxxx_xxxx_xxx_xxxxx (the original Db) has a status saying "Database is in compatibility range and upgrade is recommended" 

    The new database, SP_AdminContent has the status saying no action required. 

    is this where the problem lies?

    Monday, January 13, 2014 4:47 PM
  • Yes, is this your Central Admin Database, if yes then you need to run the COnfig wizard on the farm to upgrade this database...

    But if this is simple content Db then run upgrade-spcontentdatabase command.


    Please remember to mark your question as answered &Vote helpful,if this solves/helps your problem. ****************************************************************************************** Thanks -WS MCITP(SharePoint 2010, 2013) Blog: http://wscheema.com/blog

    • Marked as answer by JayShah22 Monday, January 13, 2014 5:14 PM
    Monday, January 13, 2014 4:55 PM
  • Thankyou

    I ran the Config wizard, then moved the databases with sucsess

    Monday, January 13, 2014 5:15 PM